Handyman Wire

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 130 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Only registered users may only post in our forums. Please register and join our community.
Advertisement
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Worn laminate floor repairable?? #951979
02/11/19 02:53 AM
02/11/19 02:53 AM
Missouri
U
UsuallyClueless Offline OP
journeyman
UsuallyClueless  Offline OP
journeyman
U

Missouri
First, I don't want to tear up the floor but would like to at least improve it.
The flooring is some kind of manufactured wood (I don't know what I am talking about really) and then a factory applied top. The grain looking top layer wore away under a place where a chair went back and forth at a computer table. So there is now a large black spot in the middle of the room.

I thought maybe I could put some liquid floor gloss on and at least maybe give it a shine. So I tried a small spot. It absorbed the liquid quickly and lo and behold that spot turn brown, the same shade as the good flooring. But, only seconds later it was blacker than the rest of the big spot. It did dry back to the original lighter shade.

What was going on? Is there some kind of magical product that would turn the black material brown again? I would be very happy with just that color change.

Reply Quote
Re: Worn laminate floor repairable?? [Re: UsuallyClueless] #952037
02/11/19 11:40 PM
02/11/19 11:40 PM
Somewhere under the sun
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
dora  Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Somewhere under the sun
There are furniture/floor markers in an array of tones that you could try and are sold at most big box stores but not sure if they'll actually lighten a black spot. Are you sure that the black isn't actually black rubber/plastic from the computer chair leg wearing off. If you are then maybe follow the advice provided on this video and here's a link to where you can purchase the product.

Life is about using the whole box of crayons!
Reply Quote
Re: Worn laminate floor repairable?? [Re: UsuallyClueless] #952042
02/12/19 01:04 AM
02/12/19 01:04 AM
Bristol,ny
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel
code_ceis  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Bristol,ny
I used this in one spot

If you can find a close color. I would do a 9 foot square where the chair rolls. This has a rounded grout-able edge. So the chair will roll on and off it with out edge damage. It gives the look of a chair mat.

Last edited by code_ceis; 02/12/19 01:04 AM.

"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior." - Hippolyte Taine

Do not be a Monday. No one likes Mondays.

Reply Quote
Re: Worn laminate floor repairable?? [Re: UsuallyClueless] #952043
02/12/19 01:44 AM
02/12/19 01:44 AM
Missouri
U
UsuallyClueless Offline OP
journeyman
UsuallyClueless  Offline OP
journeyman
U

Missouri
Thanks for the ideas. Guess I will take a picture and go to a box store for these suggestions.
I just thought it odd that the black changed color for an instant. A magical moment.
It is is actually the wood color worn off as there are a few dog scratches by the patio door.

Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options HTML is disabled
UBBCode is disabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2019, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.