Handyman Wire

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (yardmaster, evh, twoshoes, 1 invisible), 129 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Only registered users may only post in our forums. Please register and join our community.
Advertisement
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Heated Handles Retrofit [Re: kodak_jack] #952010
02/11/19 06:03 PM
02/11/19 06:03 PM
Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
JasonB  Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

IF a blower has a 12V battery powered starting system, you may be able to jerry rig heaters to run off the battery. Be aware, however, that this will discharge the battery, unless the charging coil is capable of exceeding the handwarmer's power requirements. The starter is not gonna act as a generator - It's not turning unless you're starting with it. There are exceptions in some small engines, but I don't think you'll find'em on a snowblower. I could always be wrong.

ALL 120VAC starters are simple universal brushed motors. They will not generate power as-is - Something would need to provide excitation current. A permanent magnet motor starter (I don't know if they're in use as small engine starters, suspect not) could act as an alternator. A brushed DC permanent magnet starter could act as a DC generator. I'm not aware of any that turn after starting (Bendix or similar).

If he "found" a connector with AC present when the engine was running, that's likely a lighting alternator coil that was installed on the engine, but not used on the machine. This isn't uncommon - Manufacturer uses one mark of engine (with alternator installed) and puts the lights and like only on higher-end models. Simplifies the supply chain.

On some engines, it may be possible for a person to install an alternator to the engine, provided the mounting screw holes are bored and threaded. Some manufacturers (Honda comes to mind) don't bore accessory mount locations (like electric starters) unless the accessory is part of the supplied machine - That is, for example, the pull-start only generator I recently purchased has a casting on the crankcase that would allow starter mounting, but it's not been machined, making an "upgrade" to electric start impossible for that machine.

It's surely possible, with sufficient time, money and skill, but economically - Likely not.

J

er, somethin'....
Re: Heated Handles Retrofit [Re: kodak_jack] #952015
02/11/19 07:01 PM
02/11/19 07:01 PM
Rochester,NY
kodak_jack Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
kodak_jack  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Rochester,NY
All great insight, but I guess I'm the proverbial SOL. It just so happens we're expecting 4" to 6" tomorrow.
As long as we're talking snow blowers, I find it amazing that prices take nice big jumps as you go up in model of most blowers, yet the cut only goes up in 2" increments. Woopteedoo!

Re: Heated Handles Retrofit [Re: kodak_jack] #952048
02/12/19 01:11 PM
02/12/19 01:11 PM
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
JasonB  Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

The price of a new blower is mind-blowing to me. I'll stick to the used market.

Cut width, however, ain't the only metric!

J

er, somethin'....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2019, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.