Handyman Wire

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Stevejo, 2 invisible), 119 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Only registered users may only post in our forums. Please register and join our community.
Advertisement
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trouble with Honeywell RTH6580WF Tstat #951864
02/06/19 11:24 PM
02/06/19 11:24 PM
PA
twoshoes Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
twoshoes  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

PA
At our getaway place I have an RTH6580WF thermostat that I remotely control from home. The ISP there (Windstream) decided I need to change my modem/router so I made the trip up there yesterday. Today I installed the new router, Desktop connected and all worked well. Change my wife's laptop for the new router and it connected fine. Re-did printer and it worked fine. Then it was on to the thermostat. Followed Honeywell instructions to change setting 39 to a 0 which tells the thermostat to get new wifi connection. Then I was going to use wife's laptop to give the thermostat the new info it needs. Go to network icon on laptop and see NewThermostat_xxxxxx as listed in the instructions and clicked on connect. Within a second or two a message on the screen reads Connecting to NewThermostat_xxxxxx and then immediately to Windows cannot connect to NewThermostat_xxxxxx and the only option isTroubleshooting Problems which could not find anything wrong. Call to Windstream support blames the Thermostat, and calls to Honeywell blames windows. Can anyone think of what I could try differently in Windows? I even reinstalled the old modem/router but it will also not connect with this laptop. Neither of us have smartphones to use in place of the laptop to see if it would make the connection which would help us pinpoint modem/router or PC/Windows as the problem. I can drive home for another laptop but that is 200 miles roundtrip and if that don't work then buy a new thermostat and hope that fixes the problem,. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Tom

Re: Trouble with Honeywell RTH6580WF Tstat [Re: twoshoes] #951879
02/07/19 11:39 PM
02/07/19 11:39 PM
PA
twoshoes Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
twoshoes  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

PA
Problem solved, turn out it was the PC for some unknown reason. Was able to borrow a friend's Samsung Tablet. Not an object for someone that has FAT fingers. Also don't use standing up, the slightest movement changes the screen orientation. Must have a gyroscope inside. Took 4 hours to do 15 minutes of work, but it is done successfully.

Tom

Re: Trouble with Honeywell RTH6580WF Tstat [Re: twoshoes] #951880
02/08/19 12:25 AM
02/08/19 12:25 AM
The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
CabinConnection  Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Glad to read that!

Honeywell has been doing updates for what seems like months. Since Dec. I've had one of my accounts show RED in the banner, yet I can control it just fine. Happened to my own as well for (wouldn't you know it) the three days I was in Chicago and it was -20 here at home! (Had to ask a neighbor to go confirm I had heat.)

Anyway, do you know what the actual issue with your PC was?

Re: Trouble with Honeywell RTH6580WF Tstat [Re: CabinConnection] #951915
02/08/19 07:26 PM
02/08/19 07:26 PM
PA
twoshoes Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
twoshoes  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

PA
Don't get me started on Honeywell's maintenance. I couldn't believe their email when it came out in late January stating that they would be doing periodic maintenance from then through all of February. To do something when three fourths of the country is scheduled to have below freezing temperatures and worse expected negative 0 degrees is widespread is beyond reason. In the midst of a periodic downtime during that cold spell it took me well over an hour to get either a chat or phone session started to whomever responded first. With each and every contact that I made to them I expressed my concerns about their maintenance procedures. Their own website where you can check the status of the system shows normal even when users may be locked out of knowing anything about their sites. And they never tell their first line support people when they are doing this maintenance. As far as the problem, I still have no idea why my laptop never worked. I used a different one in prior changes. It is very hard to test for the problem right now. If you remember when you do a router change you need to change setting 39 to a 0 to get to the point when once done the only way to reset that setting is a successful connection to the thermostat. You cannot manually go back in reset setting 39 to a 1. A reset to factory defaults has 39 set to 0, they need a backup procedure. Maybe during spring or summer when I don't have a big need for remote capabilities I will try to see if my other PC does connect.

Tom

Moderated by  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2019, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.