Handyman Wire

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RipCord), 121 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Only registered users may only post in our forums. Please register and join our community.
Advertisement
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Heating Unit Suddenly Weak & Not Hot Enough [Re: CabinConnection] #950425
01/10/19 12:12 AM
01/10/19 12:12 AM
Chicago
Florentin Offline OP
Florentin  Offline OP

Chicago
Originally Posted by CabinConnection
I just think that an exchanger that is SO dirty as to cause a noticeable air flow reduction, would also smell when hot. I doubt this (dirt) would cause a flow restriction, but it depends on the design.

If you have good flow in registers close to the furnace, I'd be looking for either a closed damper and/or a foreign object in the duct.

Originally Posted by CabinConnection
Is this a rental? And/or is there a possibility someone opened a register and stuffed something in?

Not a rental.
We lived here for 15 years or so.
We own the home.

I gotta think this has to do with what I said in my first post ... a couple weeks ago, the flow was restricted big time ... upon looking at the filter, it was very dirty and blocked the air from moving in. Upon changing it, the situation improved a lot. I gotta think that while the air was being restricted, the system took air - AND DIRT - from inside and around the furnace, and something got blocked.

Going to HomeDepot to buy some socket wrenches, so I can remove the housing/blower/motor.
Lord, help me ...

I am thinking to check the heat exchanger for blockage, as well as the condenser coil.

I will eventually have my friend come over and check it properly.
In the meantime, I will try to fix it myself if at all possible, hopefully without doing any damage to the system.

Thanks so much for your help!

Music Is Forever!
Re: Heating Unit Suddenly Weak & Not Hot Enough [Re: Florentin] #950428
01/10/19 01:56 AM
01/10/19 01:56 AM
Chicago
Florentin Offline OP
Florentin  Offline OP

Chicago
ok ... ok ... ok ...

it turns out it is NOT an air flow problem
the air in the farther-away vents felt fainter because it was at room temperature

the air in the close-by vents went from hot to lukewarm because the burners did not stay on

I talked to my friend and he had me check a couple things
the problem seems to be the HEAT SENSOR
I took it out and cleaned it, and placed it back in

The pilot stays on, the burners come on, but they turn off in less than a minute

I am getting a new heat sensor tomorrow and changing it
Hoping that's the problem ... the only problem

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Here's some information on the unit, since I opened it up:

Make: Tappan
Model: GUF105 D 30 E5
Serial #: 76 E 20392

Music Is Forever!
Re: Heating Unit Suddenly Weak & Not Hot Enough [Re: Florentin] #950640
01/14/19 03:35 PM
01/14/19 03:35 PM
J
Jeratribe Offline
first timer
Jeratribe  Offline
first timer
J

Originally Posted by Florentin

Thank you!
I have a friend who works with heating/AC, but he is not available for a few days.

In the meantime, here's what's happening right now ...

The two vents closest to the furnace (kitchen & bathroom, right by furnace wall) appear to be hot, BUT INTERMITTENTLY. Meaning, they'll get hot, and then they'll get less hot ... but then WHEN I HEAR THE BURNERS KICK BACK IN they'll get hot again. Air flow appears to be decent in these two vents, or maybe it appears like that to me because I am comparing them to the others?

The other vents stay lukewarm at best, with barely any air coming out, and get even less warm when the burners kick out. The vents upstairs barely get any air coming out, and are lukewarm at best. More cold than warm for sure.

Goodness gracious ...

It does sound like a blockage in the ducting or vent filters is causing an airflow obstruction. Have you checked the filters in the vents? They may need replacing and that may be the cheapest solution to test before going further.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2019, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.