Handyman Wire

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 180 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
no water to humidifier media #948559
12/05/18 10:08 PM
12/05/18 10:08 PM
Missouri USA
ballwinbill Offline OP
enthusiast
ballwinbill  Offline OP
enthusiast

Missouri USA
Hi again, A friend has a Aprilaire humidifier on the furnace. There is no water in the media, but when I turn the humidistat to higher humidity, I hear the water valve click. Still nothing. I'm thinking this valve is full of deposits. On the top of the solenoid valve, which is a 24volt valve, there is a screw with a locknut. I'm assuming that this if for controlling the volume of water going to the media? I did disconnect the water supply to the valve, and it is more than adequate, so no lack of water supply. The solenoid has a sticker that says Valve no. B2015-S85 and has an orifice size 3/32. Is it possible to separate the solenoid from the valve to soak the valve in vinegar, or should the valve just be replaced?

Re: no water to humidifier media [Re: ballwinbill] #948564
12/06/18 12:00 AM
12/06/18 12:00 AM
Wilmington, Delaware
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Just_Bill  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Wilmington, Delaware
What type valve feeds the humidifier? If it is one of those saddle type valves that pierce the pipe, that could be the culprit. Usually, the part that pierces the pipe is steel and rusts, clogging the opening.

Re: no water to humidifier media [Re: ballwinbill] #948568
12/06/18 04:00 AM
12/06/18 04:00 AM
The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
CabinConnection  Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
OP said he has good flow to the solenoid valve.

I've seen both that valve as well as the plastic line to the media (and the drain from the media) clog with debris.

A good cleaning is often all that's required.

Re: no water to humidifier media [Re: CabinConnection] #948583
12/06/18 04:16 PM
12/06/18 04:16 PM
Missouri USA
ballwinbill Offline OP
enthusiast
ballwinbill  Offline OP
enthusiast

Missouri USA
yes, it is a saddle valve, but the water comes out full force when it's disconnected from the valve. the drain line going to the sewer is open, but the media is dry. I'm guessing that cleaning this valve with vinegar is pretty much impossible unless I can remove the electrical solenoid?

Re: no water to humidifier media [Re: ballwinbill] #948622
12/07/18 05:04 AM
12/07/18 05:04 AM
Missouri USA
ballwinbill Offline OP
enthusiast
ballwinbill  Offline OP
enthusiast

Missouri USA
okay, I brought the valve home and I have disassembled it. With the coil removed I put the parts in white vinegar. with cleaning it, I found that deep in the inlet side there is a plastic screen, and it is pretty clogged. I'm soaking it too. I ran a wire through the inlet and outlet and rotated it to clean out any debris. I was also able to unscrew the part that is drawn up by the electromagnet, and it has a rubber tip on it to start and stop the flow of water. so, when I have all deposits cleaned off I will test it with a 24 volt source.

Can I touch the electromagnet wires to my doorbell transformer that is on the side of my breaker box. It is a 24 volt transformer with the doorbell wires attached. Do I need to unhook those wires, or can I simply touch the wires to the terminals where the doorbell wires are attached? I would test it on the humidistat itself, but since I am at home, I don't have access to it to test this. I will take a voltage output reading on the humidistat when I go to her house. I know that I just turn the dial to call for more humidity, and I should get voltage output from it, if it is working right.

I will let you know how this turns out, for other people's benefit.

Re: no water to humidifier media [Re: ballwinbill] #948905
12/12/18 06:45 AM
12/12/18 06:45 AM
Missouri USA
ballwinbill Offline OP
enthusiast
ballwinbill  Offline OP
enthusiast

Missouri USA
after disassembling and cleaning the solenoid valve I put it back together, and before I hooked it back to the wiring from the humidistat, I tested the humidistat output with a voltmeter, which showed 24 volts. I also cleaned the orifice on the water tube going to the media. The orifice was dirty, but with a pin and vinegar, I got it clean. I put everything back together, and the now clean valve works like a new one. When the furnace kicks on, you can hear a very strong click coming from the valve, and shortly, water begins to flow. With a bit of patience and cleaning, these valves can often be saved. Not always necessary to spend the money for a new one.

Re: no water to humidifier media [Re: ballwinbill] #948907
12/12/18 12:31 PM
12/12/18 12:31 PM
Hudson Valley, New York
bilvihur Offline
Carpal Tunnel
bilvihur  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hudson Valley, New York
Originally Posted By ballwinbill
With a bit of patience and cleaning, these valves can often be saved.

Good job! But you got lucky. I used to be able to do the same for the inlet and mixer valves on washing machines and dishwashers, but the manufacturers got wise, and now most of them are sealed units.

MSI Mobo, Phenom II CPU, Win 7/64 Premium, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Chrome, Avast, Malwarebytes

Moderated by  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.