Handyman Wire

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 169 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Oil Leak Briggs & Stratton #944522
09/10/18 11:06 AM
09/10/18 11:06 AM
J
jkon Offline OP
jkon  Offline OP
J

I have a Briggs & Stratton 7.75H.P. engine on my Craftsman snow thrower that is leaking oil. Engine model number is 12C314-0131-E1. Engine is 15 years old but still runs like a top. Oil is pooling at the front lower corner where engine is mounted to frame. I cleaned the engine up thoroughly to try to pinpoint. I originally thought that the front PTO side oil seal was the culprit but that is not so. The definite area is the area that I originally mentioned. Could it be the rear oil seal (flywheel side) which I cannot see? I am pretty handy as I changed both belts and idler wheel yesterday and as you all know that is not the most easy job...splitting the snow thrower to change the belts and taking the drive apart to change the idler wheel. Hope I did not waste my money. That would have been the time to pull the engine to take a closer look but did not want to go through all that trouble before asking you all. Maybe it is time for a new snow thrower??? Thank you all for any help that you can provide.

Last edited by jkon; 09/10/18 01:05 PM.
Re: Oil Leak Briggs & Stratton [Re: jkon] #944538
09/10/18 03:38 PM
09/10/18 03:38 PM
Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
JasonB  Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

I have seen the oil seal on the flywheel side of these engines fail.... If it's simply a bad seal, replacement's pretty easy, not generally requiring removal of the engine from the machine - Remove the fan cover, remove the flywheel, pick out the old seal, drive in a new one....

That said, the engine I had with a bad flywheel end seal had a badly worn main bearing behind that seal, allowing more than 1mm of vertical movement in the crank. I parted it out.

Me, I see the cost of a new blower (typically $1000+), and I think "chinese replacement engine" for far fewer dollars. Was able to replace the motor on a neighbour's machine (admittedly a little 5.5hp rig) for under $100 and a bit of monkeying.

J

er, somethin'....
Re: Oil Leak Briggs & Stratton [Re: jkon] #944543
09/10/18 05:32 PM
09/10/18 05:32 PM
J
jkon Offline OP
jkon  Offline OP
J

Thanks Jason. The only other thing I can think of is the oil drain pipe at rear of engine where pipe is threaded into the block. I cannot really see the end going into the block. I may drain oil and remove that pipe and put some fuel proof teflon tape on that end. Like I said the engine runs fine and I hate to get rid of it as it still has life left. It's been a good machine. I know it was leaking all last season. When I moved it the other day from its storage place in the shed I found an 18 inch diameter oil ring on the floor. When I removed the bottom pan I found it covered in oil as well as the drive wheel and friction disc. Oil all over the place inside there. Could the block be cracked underneath the engine? I was looking on line and saw that it is not too bad (as you suggested) to get at the rear seal. I am definitely going to check that out.

Re: Oil Leak Briggs & Stratton [Re: jkon] #944545
09/10/18 08:46 PM
09/10/18 08:46 PM
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
JasonB  Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Could it be cracked beneath the engine? Yes. Likely? No.

More likely is the shaft seal or the crankcase gasket, or as you note, the oil drain pipe.

Good luck,

J

er, somethin'....
Re: Oil Leak Briggs & Stratton [Re: jkon] #944563
09/11/18 01:42 PM
09/11/18 01:42 PM
J
jkon Offline OP
jkon  Offline OP
J

Thanks Jason. Some other fellas say to check the sump gasket. Is that the same as the crankcase gasket? If so then it is not leaking there. Checked last evening closely at the oil drain pipe. No it is definitely not leaking from there.

Re: Oil Leak Briggs & Stratton [Re: jkon] #944565
09/11/18 01:50 PM
09/11/18 01:50 PM
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
JasonB  Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Yes, the crankcase is split with a paper gasket. They _can_ fail, but it's uncommon, unless it was installed incorrectly.

Get you a flywheel knock-off tool.

J

er, somethin'....
Re: Oil Leak Briggs & Stratton [Re: jkon] #944746
09/14/18 12:39 PM
09/14/18 12:39 PM
J
jkon Offline OP
jkon  Offline OP
J

Purchased front and rear seals plus crankcase gasket. I had the day off yesterday. Drained gas and oil then pulled the engine off. First thing I checked was for a cracked block underneath. No crack thank goodness. Really inspected engine and could find no oil leak evidence anywhere. Pulled the crankcase cover and changed the seal. No evidence of oil leak. I was surprised how super clean everything inside the crankcase was. Probably because I change the oil every year. Proceeded to rear. Flywheel came off pretty easy. Changed that seal. No evidence of oil leak. Really took a close look at rocker cover area. No evidence of oil leak but am going to check and adjust (if needed)valve lash since I bought a new gasket for that too. Rear and both side drain plugs show no evidence of oil leaks. I am stumped. I still have the engine on the bench in semi-torn down state. Before I put the crankcase cover back on is there anything else you can think of before I put it back together? Could it be oil from when I tilt the thrower forward and set it up on the auger housing that oil leaked over the years and built up on everything? But where would that oil be coming from? I tilt it up at least once every season. Now I feel like I cried wolf for nothing! It just bugged me as the thing didn't leak oil for at least ten years. Thanks!

Last edited by jkon; 09/14/18 12:39 PM.
Re: Oil Leak Briggs & Stratton [Re: jkon] #944788
09/15/18 12:06 PM
09/15/18 12:06 PM
harvard, il.
N
notnew2diy Offline
Carpal Tunnel
notnew2diy  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
N

harvard, il.
Was the engine actually loosing oil?
Oil level dropped?

Are there any other oil sumps on the machine?
Transmissions, gear boxes, etc?

Prolly not much help...notnew...

Thanks to all US military veterans.
Re: Oil Leak Briggs & Stratton [Re: jkon] #944813
09/15/18 10:35 PM
09/15/18 10:35 PM
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
JasonB  Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Sounds like you've more-or-less eliminated the engine as the culprit, however you did note that the transmission elements (friction wheel, etc.) were oiled, and that would point to a source "above"... IE: the engine.

Engine internals NEVER look dirty, unless the engine has been horribly abused.

The only other typical spot for liquid lubricants in a blower is the auger gearbox. Many are grease lubed, but some, Toro, for instance, use a heavy gear oil.

I'll echo Notnew's comment - Did it loose oil, or was there anything else strange about oil levels? For instance, it's possible that teh float in the carb sank or leaked, which can, in some engines, allow fuel into the cylinder. THere it'll flow past the rings, into the crankcase, where it dilutes the oil and raises the liquid level. This can result in leakage of oil (and other much worse results).

But on the engine, it seems you've covered the bases. THe only likely leak points are crank seals, governor arm seal, and breather/lifter/valve covers. If it had been the front seal, the inside of the flywheel would be oiled, along with the mag.

Clean it all up, reassemble, spotlessly, run for a bit, have another look. Dust with fine powder could find a small, recent leak, if the rest of the engine is very clean.

J

er, somethin'....
Re: Oil Leak Briggs & Stratton [Re: jkon] #944874
09/17/18 11:36 AM
09/17/18 11:36 AM
J
jkon Offline OP
jkon  Offline OP
J

Thanks Jason. Yes everything under the engine when I pulled the belly pan was all covered in built up oil including friction wheel. I pulled valve cover off and it is a good thing I did. Valve adjustments were off quite a bit and one of the nuts was lose when I went to adjust them. Torqued everything as I had found all torque specs on line. Installed new belts and friction wheel. Serviced sticking electric starter which I do not use very often. Got it all back together and reinstalled on thrower. Started 2nd pull. Ran it for a good 25 minutes and no leaks. So if anything besides knowing for sure that the block is not cracked, its got some new parts...both seals, crank gasket, valve cover gasket, muffler gasket, belts, friction wheel. Belts and friction wheel I had bought a couple years ago for spares. Cleaned it all up and should be good to go for the winter. Thank you and all for all your help!

Last edited by jkon; 09/17/18 11:43 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.