Handyman Wire

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 164 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Replacing toilet flapper #934618
03/10/18 07:56 PM
03/10/18 07:56 PM
Northern U.S. where the Winter...
H
Hammer Offline OP
enthusiast
Hammer  Offline OP
enthusiast
H

It's embarrassing to have to ask about this since it seems so simple.

I have a Fluidmaster flapper in the back of my toilet that is now leaking. I just want to replace it, but want to make sure it's done right because I had this problem some years ago and thought it would be easy to replace and it wasn't. I tried to remove the flapper from the white tube (drain pipe?) that it's attached to and ended up breaking one of the plastic hinges. That resulted in having to buy an entire new system which required taking the entire toilet apart. I don't want to go through that again just to replace the flapper. It seemed like it was going to be so simple last time but ended up being a nightmare.

So, is there a way to safely do it? It's just a Fluidmaster red flapper on a black plastic frame which is hinged to the white plastic drain pipe. How do I remove it without breaking the hinge? I looked on Youtube and I can't find a video that shows how to replace just the flapper. They only show how to replace the entire system which I don't need. I already have a spare flapper, so I'm ready to go.

The one in the toilet tank and the replacement I have look just like this: https://www.wilmar.com/Sku/19-1061/fluid...ByABEgIcyvD_BwE

Last edited by Hammer; 03/10/18 08:53 PM.
Re: Replacing toilet flapper [Re: Hammer] #934626
03/10/18 11:55 PM
03/10/18 11:55 PM
Wilmington, Delaware
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Just_Bill  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Wilmington, Delaware
1. follow the directions.
2. Get the directions out of the trash and refer to 1.
3. It is possible the old toilet vent/overflow was brittle and you did nothing wrong. It just broke off. I have done hundreds of those flappers and never had an issue, even on old toilets. If the ears won't snap on/off with moderate force, do not force it. Try to spread the ears of the catches.

Re: Replacing toilet flapper [Re: Hammer] #934638
03/11/18 04:47 AM
03/11/18 04:47 AM
Jayhawk Land
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel
RCovell  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Jayhawk Land
Should be pretty simple if you're using a regular Fluidmaster flapper and have the little ears at the bottom of the overflow pipe.

The Fluidmaster flapper has a hard plastic frame. At the connection point, the plastic part of the flapper simply snaps onto the ears, using an upside down 'U' shape. To remove the old one, just slip your finger underneath the ear and gently push up on the bottom of the flapper. Do it on both sides to free the flapper. (Look at the new flapper to see what I'm talking about.)

The new flapper installs in a reverse manner, just snap the 'U' part over the ears.

Make sure the flapper pivots freely, adjust the chain length and turn the water back on.

Note: The Fluidmaster flappers I use are adjustable for the time they're open. You can tell if you have one by the numbers embossed on the top of the rubber flapper edge. I usually start off in the middle of the number range. Just twist the disk if you want to adjust it.

Good luck, Bob.

Re: Replacing toilet flapper [Re: Just_Bill] #934716
03/12/18 07:40 PM
03/12/18 07:40 PM
H
Hammer Offline OP
enthusiast
Hammer  Offline OP
enthusiast
H

Originally Posted By Just_Bill
1. follow the directions.
2. Get the directions out of the trash and refer to 1.
3. It is possible the old toilet vent/overflow was brittle and you did nothing wrong. It just broke off. I have done hundreds of those flappers and never had an issue, even on old toilets. If the ears won't snap on/off with moderate force, do not force it. Try to spread the ears of the catches.

Unable to follow steps 1 and 2 since the new flapper I have (it might actually be an old one) is just sitting loose in a drawer without its package and accompanying instructions. I don't even know how old it is, but I think I may have bought it to replace the one I accidently broke years ago. When I bought a new flush assembly, it came with its own flapper, so I ended up using that one instead.

Last edited by Hammer; 03/12/18 08:37 PM.
Re: Replacing toilet flapper [Re: RCovell] #934717
03/12/18 07:42 PM
03/12/18 07:42 PM
H
Hammer Offline OP
enthusiast
Hammer  Offline OP
enthusiast
H

Originally Posted By RCovell
Should be pretty simple if you're using a regular Fluidmaster flapper and have the little ears at the bottom of the overflow pipe.

The Fluidmaster flapper has a hard plastic frame. At the connection point, the plastic part of the flapper simply snaps onto the ears, using an upside down 'U' shape. To remove the old one, just slip your finger underneath the ear and gently push up on the bottom of the flapper. Do it on both sides to free the flapper. (Look at the new flapper to see what I'm talking about.)

The new flapper installs in a reverse manner, just snap the 'U' part over the ears.

Make sure the flapper pivots freely, adjust the chain length and turn the water back on.

Note: The Fluidmaster flappers I use are adjustable for the time they're open. You can tell if you have one by the numbers embossed on the top of the rubber flapper edge. I usually start off in the middle of the number range. Just twist the disk if you want to adjust it.

Good luck, Bob.

Thanks! I'll try it when I get home tonight. It sounds like you're referring to the same one I have since the connection points sound like the same thing. I wasn't aware that the disk is to be rotated to adjust it. Now I wonder if twisting the current one might actually be all it would take to make it stop leaking. I'll try that and then install the new one if necessary.

Re: Replacing toilet flapper [Re: Hammer] #934756
03/13/18 04:09 AM
03/13/18 04:09 AM
Jayhawk Land
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel
RCovell  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Jayhawk Land
Rotating the disk adjusts the 'fill' time and should have no effect on the leaking issue.

When you mess with the flapper again, run your finger or thumb around the top of the drain part where the flapper seats. Make sure it's clean and smooth. Also, make sure your new flapper disk is not bent or 'warped'. Another thing to check is to make sure the chain is long enough to allow the flapper to seat properly. I usually have to cut my chain to length, but, it's something to check on yours.

One last thing is to make sure the little refill tube that goes into the top of the center overflow pipe is not jammed down the pipe. That can cause a siphon to start and it sounds like and is a small drip.

Good luck, Bob.

Re: Replacing toilet flapper [Re: RCovell] #934792
03/13/18 08:15 PM
03/13/18 08:15 PM
H
Hammer Offline OP
enthusiast
Hammer  Offline OP
enthusiast
H

Originally Posted By RCovell
Rotating the disk adjusts the 'fill' time and should have no effect on the leaking issue.

When you mess with the flapper again, run your finger or thumb around the top of the drain part where the flapper seats. Make sure it's clean and smooth. Also, make sure your new flapper disk is not bent or 'warped'. Another thing to check is to make sure the chain is long enough to allow the flapper to seat properly. I usually have to cut my chain to length, but, it's something to check on yours.

One last thing is to make sure the little refill tube that goes into the top of the center overflow pipe is not jammed down the pipe. That can cause a siphon to start and it sounds like and is a small drip.

Good luck, Bob.

We might be talking about different "disks". I was thinking of the red rubber one that keeps the water from flowing out the bottom. That's the only disk I have.

I got the new flapper installed. It took more pressure to remove the old one than I was comfortable applying, but it didn't break the hinges this time (thank goodness!). So far, it seems to be a tight seal. One thing I noticed about the old flapper is that it was more rounded where it meets the drain. The new one is completely flat. The old one doesn't appear to be warped in any way though. It's as if it were made that way originally. I guess it's possible that it warped that way since I can't find a single image on Google that looks exactly like the old one I have.

Re: Replacing toilet flapper [Re: Hammer] #934793
03/13/18 08:37 PM
03/13/18 08:37 PM
Southern CA
Ernie Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Ernie  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Southern CA
Not to bore you but if you have the time
check out some of these flappers
Our Old Water Hog Toilet `
was difficult to find
a replacement flapper for.
I changed the overflow tube
flapper and seat over to a complete and
newer Fluidmaster`` set up``
Here's a > LINK < to some different types of flappers

---------
~~~ Amazing Grace ~~~
Re: Replacing toilet flapper [Re: Ernie] #934797
03/13/18 09:00 PM
03/13/18 09:00 PM
H
Hammer Offline OP
enthusiast
Hammer  Offline OP
enthusiast
H

Originally Posted By Ernie
Not to bore you but if you have the time
check out some of these flappers
Our Old Water Hog Toilet `
was difficult to find
a replacement flapper for.
I changed the overflow tube
flapper and seat over to a complete and
newer Fluidmaster`` set up``
Here's a > LINK < to some different types of flappers

Interesting! I didn't realize there were so many.
My toilet is actually one of those "water hogs" although I put a gallon jug of water in the tank to take up some space. My Dad has an older model than I do, with the drain pipe being part of the tank itself, and the valve is made of metal. His flapper is leaking a bit and we tried to find a replacement, but the store doesn't have anything compatible. I contacted the manufacturer about it and they said it's such an old model that our only choice is to just replace the entire toilet. The year of manufacture is 1975.

Re: Replacing toilet flapper [Re: Hammer] #934811
03/13/18 11:51 PM
03/13/18 11:51 PM
Southern CA
Ernie Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Ernie  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Southern CA

Quote:
His flapper is leaking a bit and we tried to find
a replacement, but the store doesn't have anything
compatible. I contacted the manufacturer about it and
they said it's such an old model that our only choice
is to just replace the entire toilet.
The year of manufacture is 1975.

Quote:
There are 4 main toilet flushing capacities
that are commonly used in the United States today;
5 gallon per flush and larger;
3.5 gallon per flush;
1.6 gallon per flush
and 1.28 gallon per flush toilets.

a.Toilets that are manufactured from 1994 to present
come in both styles and in both size categories;

Adjustable flappers are designed to flush toilets
that flush 1.28 and 1.6 gallon per flush (GPF) toilets.

b.Toilets that were manufactured before 1994
are all considered to be the larger gallon per flush toilets
and are still in use.

Non-Adjustable Flappers are designed
to flush toilets that flush
3.5, 5 and larger gallon per flush (GPF) toilets.

Non Adjustable Flappers come in both Styles
but only in 1 size category, 2-inch.

Check this Fluidmaster Link Out
Notice 1994 to >>>> smile

---------
~~~ Amazing Grace ~~~

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.