What's Up with Governor Christie?

Posted by: EAP

What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/17/12 10:50 AM

The flag for one is not. He ordered that they be put at half-mast to honor the memory of NJ native Whitney Houston.

Some people have a problem with this. After all she was not a hero. An icon perhaps, a great singer for sure. But no hero.

I'm sure that New Jersey has had some of their finest die as heroes in wars, etc. However have they been honored in a similar fashion?

Just wondering what the pulse around here might be?

Personally, I think it is probably a stretch to go and do that.
Posted by: grizzly

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/17/12 10:58 AM

...i've heard it's OK 'cause they did the same thing for sinatra and others. wink
Posted by: Uncle_Alvah

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/17/12 10:59 AM

Bottom line is he has the right to so order the flag flown.
He's not the type to much care what people think about it.

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/17/12 11:04 AM

Quote:
I'm sure that New Jersey has had some of their finest die as heroes in wars, etc. However have they been honored in a similar fashion?

Apparently they have, at least during his administration:

Quote:
Gov. Chris Christie issued an executive order Thursday afternoon calling for state flags to be flown at half-staff on Feb. 21 in honor of Lance Cpl. Osbrany Montes De Oca.
The executive order read:

The flag of the United States of America and the flag of the State of New Jersey shall be flown at half-staff at all State departments, offices, agencies, and instrumentalities during appropriate hours on Tuesday, February 21, 2012, in recognition and mourning of a brave and loyal American hero, United States Marine Lance Corporal Osbrany Montes De Oca.

Christie has come under criticism this week for having previously ordered flags at half-staff in honor of Whitney Houston, but defended the move in a recent press conference, citing Houston's cultural contributions.
He said Wednesday that every fallen soldier from the state of New Jersey has received the honor during his administration.
Montes De Oca was memorialized at a candlelight vigil outside his family's home last night, and flags have been flying at half-staff in his hometown of North Arlington since Wednesday morning.
Another executive order earlier Thursday formalized Christie's controversial decision to fly flags at half-staff for Houston.

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/17/12 11:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Uncle_Alvah
Bottom line is he has the right to so order the flag flown.
He's not the type to much care what people think about it.

...true. but some military families are getting upset.
Posted by: rfm3

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/17/12 11:10 AM

Yep, he has the right I guess to fly the flag at half mast as he wishes as mentioned above. Do I feel it should be done for Whitney? No, but that is just my opinion. I do not feel celebrities are in the same category as military people but again, just my opinion

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/17/12 11:10 AM

Lord forbid anything happens to Snookie! whistle

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/17/12 11:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Uncle_Alvah
Lord forbid anything happens to Snookie! whistle

... crazy
Posted by: dave

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/17/12 11:36 AM

From the Flag "Etiquette Standards of Conduct":

"The flag is to be flown at half staff in mourning for designated, principal government leaders and upon presidential or gubernatorial order. "
Posted by: DonkeyDave

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/17/12 11:42 AM

I don't read the tabloids except the front pages while I'm waiting in the supermarket checkout line but I have formed a couple of opinions on the whole Whitney Houston matter.

I get the impression that most people want to lay the blame for the decline in her quality of life on her husband. Just in case no one else has thought of it, I'd like to point out that she had reasons of her own for being attracted to a dirtbag. She was an adult and responsible for her own actions. I'll be the first to say she had the voice of an angel and one of the most beautiful faces I've ever seen but obviously she wasn't without some character defects of her own. I don't see her as a hero. I see her as someone who was blessed and blew it.

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/17/12 11:45 AM

Quote:
I get the impression that most people want to lay the blame for the decline in her quality of life on her husband. Just in case no one else has thought of it, I'd like to point out that she had reasons of her own for being attracted to a dirtbag. She was an adult and responsible for her own actions. I'll be the first to say she had the voice of an angel and one of the most beautiful faces I've ever seen but obviously she wasn't without some character defects of her own. I don't see her as a hero. I see her as someone who was blessed and blew it.

Well stated!

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/21/12 04:52 PM

Sounds like Governor Christie may be a P.R. hound.

Good posts everyone.
Posted by: bljack

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/21/12 05:05 PM

I was quite disgusted with the flag lowering. I think it's am honor that should be reserved for fallen troops, and those who devoted their lives to public service who either died in their time in office or later in life after retiring with honorable service. Other situations situations such as those who were not in the service but died honorably serving other americans such as the fireman and police officers that died when the towers were brought down by a pair of airplanes. Lowering it for whitney demeans it. An eleven year old girl was killed in atragic school bus accident in my town last week and people was calling for it to be lowered after that. Have we allowed our standards to be reduced that much? He lowered it for Clarence Clemmems too. Prior to that it was only Sinatra and Hope. I don't know of sinatra served but there it's no question the amount of time that Bob Hope served our troops.

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/21/12 05:13 PM

Sinatra did not serve in the armed forces during WWII due to physical disqualifications.

Before Elvis girls screamed at the crooner Frank Sinatra. Servicemen used to joke that they screamed at mice too. I'm sure you can make the connection. I must say I like Frank's music, all the same.

Anyway, I agree even if the governor has the authority to order flag raisings at half staffs, he/she should exercise due diligence.
Posted by: Dennis_H_N.J.

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/22/12 06:07 AM

Fantastic, Dave.. I wish I could put words together as well as you..
Posted by: Dennis_H_N.J.

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/22/12 06:10 AM

1st let me say that I really admire Christie.. But I think he dropped the ball on this one.. I strongly suspect he was pressured by certain groups to do it... I say pick your battles to win the war.. This guy has his hands full in this state..
Posted by: CabinConnection

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/22/12 06:14 AM

I personally don't have a problem with NJ honoring one of their people...

"Governors of the several U.S. states or territories are authorized by federal law to order all U.S. and state flags in their jurisdiction flown at half-staff as a mark of respect for a state official or resident who has died." HERE.

And I agree with the previous post that indicated she had her own "demons" which obviously led her into the arms of Brown. And while she rid herself of him, she obviously had some pretty significant remaining personal issues... Sad.
Posted by: mommapup.

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/22/12 06:35 AM

I'm with you, Al. We follow the directive with our flags at the shop. To me, it's show of mourning for the departed.
Posted by: CabinConnection

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/22/12 06:38 AM

Well, when I did some research on the proper etiquette of flying the flag, and specifically the half-mast issue, I learned some interesting things.

Also, there's a whole generation (or two) now that didn't serve in the military. People who have made significant contributions to society...

I'm quite OK with this for Houston, as I said above.

Just my opinion. whistle

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/23/12 05:32 PM

I read in Huff Post/AOL that her (their) daughter is pretty screwed up on drugs herself now. The grandmother (Whitney's mom) is on record saying she's not going to let history repeat itself (in so mnay words).

I wonder if Brown has gotten himself sober?
Posted by: Able_Dog

Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? - 02/23/12 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: CabinConnection
Well, when I did some research on the proper etiquette of flying the flag, and specifically the half-mast issue, I learned some interesting things.

Also, there's a whole generation (or two) now that didn't serve in the military. People who have made significant contributions to society...

I'm quite OK with this for Houston, as I said above.

Just my opinion. whistle

I agree. I don't see that it diminishes the honor for a fallen NJ soldier (sailor/Marine).

She was an outstanding NJ citizen who had a sickness. She brought pleasure to millions.

And I like Christie's attitude. You don't like it, too damn bad.