Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (DonkeyDave, zukev, twoshoes, 1 invisible), 59 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#94910 - 08/02/04 11:44 PM Refrigerator defrost drain tube keeps plugging
Carp Offline
first timer

The defrost drain tube on a Hotpoint refrigerator with the freezer on top keeps plugging up. The last time after cleaning and blowing the tube out, it plugged up again in approximately two weeks. The back on the refrigerator is not removable so replacing the tube is very difficult.

I have cleaned the tube with non-chlorine bleach and have blown air through it with an air compressor. The cold control is kept at three which keeps the refrigerator temp at approximately 40 degrees F.

From the odor in the living area at times, there appears to be mold somewhere in the living area but it is not visable. I was wondering if maybe mold is growing in the tube perhaps? It would be nice if there were some sort of soft flexible thing I could poke down the tube to perhaps clear out whatever is in there.

Could you give any suggestions as to how to fix this all too often recurring problem?

Thank you.

#94911 - 08/03/04 05:17 AM Re: Refrigerator defrost drain tube keeps plugging
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
Hi,

Model#??

Some model# helps

Haven't seen mold build up in one yet.....a bike cable ( brake, gears ) is often flexable enough to run through and strong enough to push anything out.

jeff.

#94912 - 08/03/04 01:41 PM Re: Refrigerator defrost drain tube keeps plugging
Carp Offline
first timer

The model number for the Hotpoint refrigerator is: CTX16CYXDRWH. I hope this will help.

Thanks.

#94913 - 08/03/04 04:53 PM Re: Refrigerator defrost drain tube keeps plugging
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In reply to:

The back on the refrigerator is not removable so replacing the tube is very difficult.

You can blow backwards up the drain hose on this model....see where the drain tube exits the cabinet down beside the compressor.

Only reoccuring drain problems we have had with these....
- fridge is levelled level or slightly lower on the front, make the front of the refrigerator higher than the back.
- run a heat transfer wire from the defrost heater to the drain hole, this helps to prevent ice overs....

( picture was used for something else, ignore the circles )

Any bleach you put down the drain should take care of any mold or such.

jeff.

#94914 - 08/03/04 05:35 PM Re: Refrigerator defrost drain tube keeps plugging
mrgizmo Offline
fanatic

Loc: ontario, Canada
You can use a heat probe kit, they are cheap, part# 819043, I use them on freezing drains.

#94915 - 08/03/04 08:28 PM Re: Refrigerator defrost drain tube keeps plugging
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In reply to:

You can use a heat probe kit

Similier/same idea

Defrost drain strap kit, prevents drain freeze-ups

jeff.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.