Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 220 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#947294 - 11/08/18 03:47 PM Framed Shower install - Knee wall section
Mirry Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Hi everyone

Could you please advise if this is correct.

We have just had a new framed shower installed, replacing the old 1970's model and when I inspected it and asked why there was no seal in the bottom of the tracks with the glass, I was told it's because it's a knee wall?

Why would it make a difference if it was a knee wall or not? Water will now run down the glass and into the frame, the last shower had trim in it.

Many thanks
Mirry

#947306 - 11/08/18 05:51 PM Re: Framed Shower install - Knee wall section [Re: Mirry]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Huntsville AL
"because it's a knee wall?"

That makes no sense to me.

Picture would help.

#947312 - 11/08/18 06:27 PM Re: Framed Shower install - Knee wall section [Re: Mirry]
Mirry Offline

This is what they called a knee wall

#947337 - 11/09/18 12:22 AM Re: Framed Shower install - Knee wall section [Re: Mirry]
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jayhawk Land
I'm not clear on your question and the picture is only somewhat helpful.

Are you saying that there is no seal between the glass and the metal frame on the bottom of the knee wall section? No clear caulk or rubber type seal at all?

If so, that doesn't seem right to me either. Please clarify.

Bob.

#947338 - 11/09/18 06:48 AM Re: Framed Shower install - Knee wall section [Re: Mirry]
Mirry Offline

Yes, the installer says as this is a knee wall, there is no seal in between the glass and frame at the bottom so that the water can run into the frame, along the bottom of the frame and drain out. That sounds total BS to me but I am not a shower installer

#947341 - 11/09/18 10:18 AM Re: Framed Shower install - Knee wall section [Re: Mirry]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
I can't tell exactly what I'm looking at in your photos as I'm on my cell phone, but will offer this...

Glass enclosure bottom edges are generally only sealed on the outside. This allows any water that escapes to drain back into the shower.

Vertical sides are sealed on the inside to encourage water to stay in the enclosure.

Glass to frame seals are sometimes hard to see. If you cannot rattle the glass in the frame, you can assume there is a seal.

From what I can tell, it looks like your installer did things correctly.

#947350 - 11/09/18 12:19 PM Re: Framed Shower install - Knee wall section [Re: Mirry]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Huntsville AL
I'm inclined to agree with the others that the glass is probably installed with a seal. Your installer (IMO) is wrong on a couple of counts, first that is not what a knee wall is but that could be considered needless nitpicking. Second if water strikes and runs down the glass it makes little difference that there is a 2ft wall beneath it. Water should not leak into the frame and be a breeding place for bacteria.

Check with the company that supplied the panels.

#947352 - 11/09/18 12:41 PM Re: Framed Shower install - Knee wall section [Re: Mirry]
Mirry Offline

If there is no seal in the bottom of the frame on the knee wall (correct term or not)either on the outside or inside and I know that there is not as I can see that there is not, then the metal trim would need to have weep holes and there are none of those either because I can see there are no weep holes, so the water is not going to be able to drain anywhere and will just rust and mold.

I have 6 issues from the installation, it's not in straight, handles are chipped, mastic came off all around when I cleaned the shower 4 days after install, no trim in glass and no weep holes and some of the glass is in upside down, etching at the top on some and etching at the bottom on others. That may be minor to some but attention to detail counts for a lot and finally the previous shower holes in the marble were supposed to be filled before the new screen installed and as the frame is not in straight one hole is exposed, clear mastic over it and not sealed, but if the frame was in straight it would be covered.

The company are sending the installer back today, so I will see what BS he tries to give me. I might not be a shower installer, but I am not an idiot female either. Frustrated is an understatement.

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.