Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (code_ceis, 3 invisible), 228 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
New Reply
Topic Options
#947293 - 11/08/18 03:34 PM A Little Guidance Please
fdfrey Offline

Hello,

I am a property owner in Phoenix and a DIY-inclined guy. I hired a handyman to complete a punch list of tasks. Upon receiving his invoice, he listed one charge for labor and another for materials, which I appreciate. The materials cost was $252. The materials required for the job, by my estimation totaled about $140 to $150. I asked him for a receipt for the materials. His response is it was unprofessional for me to ask for a receipt for materials. He shared that he charges a 10% mark-up, which I'm fine with. Question is: in your collection opinion, is it unprofessional to request a receipt?

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#947296 - 11/08/18 04:10 PM Re: A Little Guidance Please [Re: fdfrey]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not certain how to answer the qualifying part of the "professional" request especially since you are not a professional handyman. Guess pricing out the materials list then adding tax and 10% would give you a figure at or about the $252. Rather than your estimate, this should give you a better idea of the cost (assuming you use the same supplier/s for the materials cost factor).

#947299 - 11/08/18 04:51 PM Re: A Little Guidance Please [Re: fdfrey]
code_ceis Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: muttonville,ny
My cost for material includes time spent getting them.

Separate from installing them.

Do not be a Monday. No one likes Mondays.

#947302 - 11/08/18 05:29 PM Re: A Little Guidance Please [Re: fdfrey]
fdfrey Offline

Thank you very much for the responses.

More directly my question is- would you as a professional handyman find it unprofessional for your customer to ask you to provide a receipt for materials?

#947304 - 11/08/18 05:41 PM Re: A Little Guidance Please [Re: fdfrey]
code_ceis Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: muttonville,ny
Yes if it was not part of the job specs.

If I sell you a new 3 car garage for $78,978.

What I pay for stuff is not any of your business.
Do not forget overhead cost. Estimates, travel, insurance, taxes.

Work clothes also are a cost, you do no want a naked plumber on your job. grin wink

By the way welcome to handyman wire. smile

Do not be a Monday. No one likes Mondays.

#947305 - 11/08/18 05:43 PM Re: A Little Guidance Please [Re: fdfrey]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Huntsville AL
Originally Posted By fdfrey
Thank you very much for the responses.

More directly my question is- would you as a professional handyman find it unprofessional for your customer to ask you to provide a receipt for materials?

Certainly not unprofessional since he listed materials as a line item. He should include receipts and he is entitled to 10% which is reasonable IMO.

#947313 - 11/08/18 06:36 PM Re: A Little Guidance Please [Re: fdfrey]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
I tend to agree with Code. I spend time researching materials, picking them up, bringing them to the site, all of which is essentially dead time. Am I to donate that time, or add it to the labor charge?? Either way it sounds like you will complain.

#947332 - 11/08/18 08:25 PM Re: A Little Guidance Please [Re: fdfrey]
Chas311 Offline
veteran

Loc: NE Illinois&West Central Minne...
If it were me, no, as the handyman I would not find that unprofessional. It would seem logical, but I would be willing to justify the materials cost. My explanation as the handyman would be to include material costs plus time to shop and gather/deliver materials to the job site. A while back a local licensed handyman carpenter did some work for me and was upfront about the time it took to travel 40 miles R/T, gather, pay for, and load supplies. He further said that that chore figured into the time and materials cost/s of the job I hired him to do.

#947336 - 11/09/18 12:15 AM Re: A Little Guidance Please [Re: fdfrey]
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jayhawk Land
I agree with Chas on this question.

In my opinion it depends on your original agreement. Coming to your handyman after the fact and asking for this information if such notice was not part of the employment agreement is not 'kosher'.

Most of us on this site have a business model for billing for services and materials. Most of us are willing to share such information with our (potential) client.

My particular model is to pass through material costs at no markup, but, I charge for time and travel. Also, I tend to carry with me many minor repair parts such as flappers, fill valves, switches etc. If I purchase something, usually a larger item, I include the receipt as part of my bill, especially good for warranty purposes.

I always stand ready to explain my decisions and billing questions, whether you agree with them is another question. For the record, I have very few problems in this regard.

But, again, if you didn't specify such information in your original agreement, you shouldn't get too upset if it's not broken out after the fact. You can learn to be more specific in the future or hire someone else.

Bob.

#947339 - 11/09/18 09:37 AM Re: A Little Guidance Please [Re: fdfrey]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Originally Posted By fdfrey

Pretty much the answer is yes.

And as an aside, I don't work for free, nor do I use materials at a loss. In addition to selling my own labor, outside invoices get multiplied by 1.25, and materials by 1.4.

I have an extremely loyal customer base, to the point I have keys to most accounts' homes or cabins. I have more work than I can handle, with only word of mouth/references for advertising.

My customers know I am honest to a fault, and will treat their needs as if they were my own.

Seems to work for me. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is disabled

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.