Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (code_ceis, gabby), 144 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#947069 - 11/04/18 05:01 PM carport conversion venting / sound control
astuffhandydood Offline

hi team -

I am converting a carport into a musicians practice space, and need a cheap diy sound muffling venting solution. Right now there are two vents close to the floor on opposite walls near the entrance, they're Bout 6" x 8" and open to the outside.I am planning to insulate and drywall the space, which has already been walled off. My idea for the sound muffling vent is to put a hole in the stud and put a tube into an opening perhaps 2 ft over, so the vent doesn't go directly through.

Is this a realistic plan? will shifting the vent help the noise?

I'm also considering adding a vent higher up somewhere, would that be necessary? Perhaps I can make a similar vent/tube situation across the shed near the back end. It can get stuffy and hot in there but temp is not a major issue.

I can post pictures in a bit.

#947080 - 11/04/18 08:32 PM Re: carport conversion venting / sound control [Re: astuffhandydood]
astuffhandydood Offline

#947132 - 11/05/18 04:08 PM Re: carport conversion venting / sound control [Re: astuffhandydood]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Huntsville AL
Why do you need that vent at all?
I have made several "sound proof" wood frame walls. I use a 2x6 plate and double stud 2x4 walls 8 inches offset then weave FG insulation horizontally between the two. The STR (Sound Transmission Rating) is as good as a concrete block wall (which is very good). The wall is only 2 inches thicker than a 2X4 wall. With your existing 2X4 wall you can add a 1X2 PT plate spaced 1/2 inch away from the existing 2X4 plate, this actually helps to have the plates separated in the sound transmission. Detail for corners and more info using a sound board.

#947133 - 11/05/18 04:31 PM Re: carport conversion venting / sound control [Re: astuffhandydood]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Probably more than you want to spend, but < HERE > is a good article that describes some of the basics.

Also, in reference to your original question, I'd be careful about "cutting holes" in those studs. At least until I knew more about them being load bearing...

#947162 - 11/06/18 12:47 AM Re: carport conversion venting / sound control [Re: astuffhandydood]
astuffhandydood Offline

much thanks for the suggestions and the link, this is giving me alot of ideas.. I may just shift the vent upwards so I dont have to cut through the studs.

Re: able dogs post - that sounds super effective.. are you saying I would make a whole another frame with 1x2s to attach the drywall to? that may be above my time commitment for this... but worth thinking about if it will be better in the long run.

#947237 - 11/07/18 12:46 PM Re: carport conversion venting / sound control [Re: astuffhandydood]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By astuffhandydood
much thanks for the suggestions and the link, this is giving me alot of ideas.. I may just shift the vent upwards so I dont have to cut through the studs.

Re: able dogs post - that sounds super effective.. are you saying I would make a whole another frame with 1x2s to attach the drywall to? that may be above my time commitment for this... but worth thinking about if it will be better in the long run.

The 1x2 PT is only to provide bearing for the additional studs that are place in the midpoint between the existing stud picture

Normally that type of staggered wall has 2x6 top and bottom plates. Since you only have a 2x4 plate you need 2 inches to equal a 2x6 (5-1/2 In.) so a 1X2 (1-1/2 in.) spaced a 1/2 in. from the 2x4 plate gives you 5-1/2 in. I know from experience that that is very effective sound proofing.

You never answered my question as to the need for that vent. It would probably negate the value of the wall sound proofing.

When I went back and looked at that vent which seems to do nothing I noticed you do have 2X6 plates, you merely need to add studs at the midpoint of the existing stud spacing.

#947290 - 11/08/18 03:22 PM Re: carport conversion venting / sound control [Re: Able_Dog]
astuffhandydood Offline

Originally Posted By Able_Dog
Originally Posted By astuffhandydood

The 1x2 PT is only to provide bearing for the additional studs that are place in the midpoint between the existing stud picture

Normally that type of staggered wall has 2x6 top and bottom plates. Since you only have a 2x4 plate you need 2 inches to equal a 2x6 (5-1/2 In.) so a 1X2 (1-1/2 in.) spaced a 1/2 in. from the 2x4 plate gives you 5-1/2 in. I know from experience that that is very effective sound proofing.

You never answered my question as to the need for that vent. It would probably negate the value of the wall sound proofing.

When I went back and looked at that vent which seems to do nothing I noticed you do have 2X6 plates, you merely need to add studs at the midpoint of the existing stud spacing.

Thanks Able Dog - I've been contemplating the venting issue and I may just skip it. I live in a pretty temperate place, so I could just go without it, especially since the time when I need the soundproofing the most, at night, is when I am least likely to need any kind of venting. Can be hot during the day here, but usually cool at night.

Follow-up question around the staggered studs - do you use any kind of resilience bar as well as the extra length?

Also - what type of FG insulation do you typically use? Would you use the wider option since it does not need to fit in 16" stud spacing?

#947308 - 11/08/18 06:00 PM Re: carport conversion venting / sound control [Re: astuffhandydood]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"Follow-up question around the staggered studs - do you use any kind of resilience bar as well as the extra length?"

No on the resilient bar, sound transmission is reduced because there is no connection between the two wall surfaces on the same stud.

"Also - what type of FG insulation do you typically use? Would you use the wider option since it does not need to fit in 16" stud spacing?"

3-1/2 X 24 inch would be better because you weave the insulation HORIZONTALLY between the two walls

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.