Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (twoshoes, bilvihur, code_ceis, 1 invisible), 243 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#946928 - 11/01/18 01:38 PM Craftsman LT1000 intake and exhaust settings
Foreverwood Offline

Loc: Florida,USA
Hi all,
I'm trying to find the settings for my old craftsman tractor LT1000. I've seen many sites where they say just set them both at .004 but I'm trying to find the specifics. Here's my issue. I was having some backfiring, popping, and missing on my tractor all of a sudden. I cleaned the carb which did look as if it needed it and the backfiring really has for the most part subsided. The popping and missing has remained though. I changed my plug and it was time to but that wasn't the issue. The air filter is clean. I then decided to check my valve clearances. Both were pretty close to .004 none were loose at all. In my brainstorming and research it has been said that if the settings are too tight then the valves won't close entirely. I've seen some craftsman that have a .003-.005 intake and a .005-.007 exhaust. I'm not sure if this would resolve my issue, but I sure hope so. I'm hoping it's not the head gasket or a worn cam. Model number 917.271750

Edited by Foreverwood (11/01/18 01:40 PM)

#946958 - 11/02/18 09:18 AM Re: Craftsman LT1000 intake and exhaust settings [Re: Foreverwood]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
I believe your tractor is equipped with an 18hp Briggs and Stratton engine. You should be able to have a look on their website, and find an engine manual for it, which will include this information.

I'm having little luck determining the engine model with the resources at my fingertips, but it should be marked. The Briggs website will help you locate the numbers required.

The diagrams I found implied that the engine is an L-head. These engines generally don't have an easy way to adjust valve clearances, beyond grinding the stems. In my limited experience, they don't need adjusting during the life of the engine. The exhaust clearance will tighten up if the seat begins to erode, though, and at that point, the engine is generally nearing end-of-life.

I assume you've tried the carb adjustments listed in your tractor's manual? It's available online if you don't have a hard copy.

J

#946982 - 11/02/18 10:17 PM Re: Craftsman LT1000 intake and exhaust settings [Re: JasonB]
Foreverwood Offline

Thanks for the response. This indeed is a 18hp B&S although the valves are OHV. I will check their website thanks.

#946996 - 11/03/18 11:31 AM Re: Craftsman LT1000 intake and exhaust settings [Re: JasonB]
Foreverwood Offline

I did find the info Jason. After resetting the gaps the popping continued. Although after changing the fuel filter it decreased about 50%. I recall the last time I heard this engine run bad I found a missing screw on the intake manifold. The screw isn't missing this time, but I decided to check the gasket. The gasket is the rubber type that fits in a groove. The gasket is so bad, I could see the color but actually thought it was missing. I ordered that I'll give an update once I replace it.

#947087 - 11/05/18 07:48 AM Re: Craftsman LT1000 intake and exhaust settings [Re: Foreverwood]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
That should be the cause. Leanness from a gasket leak could well cause popping/missfiring/afterfiring

J

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.