Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (xmy556a, yardmaster), 222 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#946008 - 10/11/18 12:13 PM Re: Hurricane Michael [Re: Able_Dog]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: muttonville,ny
Quote:
The little <500 square ft apt (frame) I built had over $400 worth of straps and ties.

Wind is the hardest to build to.

The after effect on standing buildings may now be refereed to as "shaken House syndrome"

The wind shakes the house so bad it loosens it up but it is still standing.

Next big blow finishes it.

Power restoration looks to take a few weeks at the earliest in some areas.

“I always get to where I’m going by walking away from where I’ve been.”
— Winnie the Pooh

#946023 - 10/11/18 04:17 PM Re: Hurricane Michael [Re: JasonB]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Huntsville AL
I remember the pictures in the Sunday paper of Homestead Florida after hurricane Andrew, it looked like a war zone that had been totally bombed, Mexico Beach and Panama City Beach look pretty much the same. Hard to imagine what those poor people are going through and will be going through in the coming months.

Talk about your life being turned upside down.

#946037 - 10/12/18 12:41 AM Re: Hurricane Michael [Re: Able_Dog]
Trippstar Offline
veteran

Loc: Alabama
I cannot begin to imagine. I would never live on the coast. Frankly, any coast. Or in Kansas or in oh my... so many places. Cable still down battery running out just wanted to jump in for a minute I have no idea what has happened 2 hours south of me.

#946051 - 10/12/18 10:34 AM Re: Hurricane Michael [Re: Able_Dog]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Still messing up other states five more deaths in Virginia(?). Saw severe flooding in Roanoke VA where I stayed Sunday night. What a massive restoration required.

Mexico Beach will be totally cleared and almost vacant land before they start rebuilding.

Yes, you can build on the beach to withstand a storm like that.
I remember talking to a Mexican who had a roofing crew doing my neighbor's house in Florida, about 20 years ago. He said if the houses here were built like his they could survive a hurricane. He told me, his house was poured concrete walls reinforce with rebar and the rebar extended over the wall and angled to the roof, every four feet and the roof was poured concrete reinforced with rebar tied to the wall rebar.

If the floor system was reinforced concrete floor panels set on concrete piers, you'd be all set. You would then need storm panels to cover the windows.

#946061 - 10/12/18 12:16 PM Re: Hurricane Michael [Re: Able_Dog]
mommapup. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SW Michigan
Ahhh, but does that solve the huge storm surge? Yes, the house would survive, (maybe) but what about all that power from 8-10' of water.

Everything will kill you, so choose something fun!

#946065 - 10/12/18 12:50 PM Re: Hurricane Michael [Re: Able_Dog]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
Nothing, save elevating the building above expected storm surges, will protect from it. For instance, my parent's place in southwest Fl. has its floor level at some 12ish feet above normal high tide, to accommodate storm surges. The current code is, IIRC, some 6" higher than theirs is built, which caused some permitting issues with recent renos in the wake of Irma.

J

#946252 - Today at 01:20 PM Re: Hurricane Michael [Re: JasonB]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This place in pristine condition when all around it destroyed by wind. I think they are going to study this one. Owners were on TV this AM, said they built it to with stand 240-250 mph, Requirements called for by code were 125 mph

House

#946254 - Today at 01:36 PM Re: Hurricane Michael [Re: Able_Dog]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Read about that house a few days ago. Debate if the owner spent an additional $30k or $100k to raise the hurricane-proof level to where it is now. Also read how it had "tear away" steps so that when they went, it didn't do much damage to the house. House has an elevator that was "undamaged", but IIRC there were some broken windows, a few siding issues, and some minor interior water damage.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Chris, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.