Handyman Wire

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 220 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
New Reply
Topic Options
#945981 - 10/10/18 06:16 PM Thoughts on filling a hinge mortise
BigJohnfromNY Offline
fanatic

Loc: Southwestern CT USA
I had a door on my master bath that opened into the bath. Because it blocked some switches in the bathroom, my wife asked if I could swap it around so it opened into the bedroom. No problem except now I have the old hinge mortises (about an 1/8" deep) and screw holes that need to disappear as they look hideous. I have two thoughts. First, cut some veneer, glue it into the mortises and use wood putty if necessary. Sand, prime, paint. Second, fill the whole gap with wood putty, sand, maybe add another coat of putty, sand again, prime and paint. As always, any thoughts, comments or suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#945988 - 10/10/18 07:54 PM Re: Thoughts on filling a hinge mortise [Re: BigJohnfromNY]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Huntsville AL
If it's painted you can hide them easily. I'd use Durhams Rock Hard wood putty and sand it smooth.

Link

Hold a wetted wide spackle knife against the open section and fill with another putty knife to give you a straight sharp edge. It would help if the putty knife is just a little wider than the opening so blade lays on the solid area to provide the right elevation.

#945989 - 10/10/18 07:57 PM Re: Thoughts on filling a hinge mortise [Re: BigJohnfromNY]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
Sounds like a plan to me, but if the filler piece fits well enough, there will be minimal filling/sanding.

#945992 - 10/10/18 09:41 PM Re: Thoughts on filling a hinge mortise [Re: Able_Dog]
BigJohnfromNY Offline
fanatic

Thanks Able. I've been a fan of Durhams Rock Hard for more years than I care to remember. It is my go to wood putty and always have a can on hand.

#945994 - 10/11/18 12:17 AM Re: Thoughts on filling a hinge mortise [Re: BigJohnfromNY]
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jayhawk Land
I would recommend using a wood patch for most of the hole, then, your wood filler of choice to clean up the rest.

Bob.

#945996 - 10/11/18 06:49 AM Re: Thoughts on filling a hinge mortise [Re: BigJohnfromNY]
notnew2diy Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: harvard, il.
Another option....
move the switches to the other side of the door opening.

In my case, similar situation, was an easier job.
Wire length was good, reused electric box, little drywall work and touch up paint.

FWIW...notnew...

#946013 - 10/11/18 01:37 PM Re: Thoughts on filling a hinge mortise [Re: notnew2diy]
BigJohnfromNY Offline
fanatic

Originally Posted By notnew2diy
Another option....
move the switches to the other side of the door opening.

In my case, similar situation, was an easier job.
Wire length was good, reused electric box, little drywall work and touch up paint.

FWIW...notnew...

Thought about that but, not only did the door block the light switches, it also interfered with the opening of the closet door off the bathroom. Not sure what the previous owners were thinking when they came up with the arrangement. Oh wait ..... they weren't!!

In any event the doors have already been swapped. Not too big of a deal as I already had a mortise jig and the correct router bit.

Thank you for your suggestion.

#946238 - Today at 12:18 PM Re: Thoughts on filling a hinge mortise [Re: BigJohnfromNY]
BigJohnfromNY Offline
fanatic

Thought I would update this post to close it out with my resolution. But first, I'd like to thank all of you who read the post and especially those who provided valuable input that helped me decide on my path. I ultimately decided to fill the mortises with Durhams Rock Hard. To assist with the edge I eased a wide putty knife between the jam and the molding. It gave me a nice, clean edge. It came out great. Could not be more pleased. Thanks again.

#946273 - Today at 05:39 PM Re: Thoughts on filling a hinge mortise [Re: BigJohnfromNY]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
Thanks for the update. Far too often we never know if people used our suggestions. Most of what we suggest has worked for us, so your feedback is helpful.

#946276 - Today at 05:50 PM Re: Thoughts on filling a hinge mortise [Re: Just_Bill]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Huntsville AL
Originally Posted By Just_Bill
Thanks for the update. Far too often we never know if people used our suggestions. Most of what we suggest has worked for us, so your feedback is helpful.

Amen to that, nice to know it worked out and useful to the 200 lurkers out there.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is disabled

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.