Handyman Wire

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 220 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#945866 - 10/08/18 01:26 PM Sand Filter Questions
wirehead43 Offline

Loc: SC
I'm winterizing our above ground pool which uses a Hayward Model SM1915SHG sand filter. To drain the filter I set the multi-position valve to the Winter position and removed the drain cap near the bottom of the filter. However, I'm only getting a trickle of water coming out of the drain. Is this normal?

Also, how often should the sand be replaced in this type of filter?

#945867 - 10/08/18 01:32 PM Re: Sand Filter Questions [Re: wirehead43]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Is air allowed to get IN to the filter tank? It's been a long time since I worked on pools, but don't you have to put the control valve 1/2 way between positions to do this?

#945876 - 10/08/18 06:34 PM Re: Sand Filter Questions [Re: wirehead43]
donnyd2 Offline
journeyman

Loc: Ontario
Winter is the correct position for the dial valve. The water will trickle out. Leave the drain cap off all winter because water will continue to work its way out for quite a while. I suggest that you put the cap in the pump basket so that you do not lose it.

Sand in above ground pools should be changed every 3-5 years as a rule of thumb or if you notice that you can't keep the pool clean no matter what you do. People who backwash and rinse regularly seem to have longer sand life.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.