Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (rfm3, xmy556a), 209 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#945355 - 09/26/18 04:24 PM Coleman 5000 Won't Idle Evenly
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Originally Posted By chiconey62
I have a Coleman5000 with a Tecuseh motorand it will not idle evenly. The carb was cleaned.

#945358 - 09/26/18 05:13 PM Re: Coleman 5000 Won't Idle Evenly [Re: CabinConnection]
FredDwyer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Maybe I misunderstand, but a generator engine never idles. It should run at a fixed RPM which results in the proper frequency of the output power. Or maybe you mean it won't run evenly at that proper load speed? If so you may have a messed up auto-throttle linkage.

Another good possibility is an improperly adjusted jet (too rich would make it gallop).

Edited by FredDwyer (09/26/18 08:18 PM)

I was always taught to honor my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.

Fred

#945574 - 09/30/18 09:34 PM Re: Coleman 5000 Won't Idle Evenly [Re: CabinConnection]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
I read this as the engine runs poorly when not loaded, which is effectively idling, at rated speed. Likely, the engine surges/hunts when unloaded.

This would, IMHO, point to a deficiency in the idle fuel circuit, or an air leak in the intake train, possibly at the throttle butterfly bushings, or between carb and intake at the cylinder.

Consult the tecumseh L-head service manual for clues on cleaning the idle passages of the carb, once you've id'd your particular model.

https://www.allotment-garden.org/rotavator-manuals/Techumseh-L-Head-Engines-Manual.pdf

When re-installing the carb, double check any gaskets downstream of the carb (from carb to engine).

Also, if you opened the float bowl when cleaning the carb (Of course, you did!), replace its gasket with new. They are not reusable and WILL cause issues if not properly sealed.

I'm guessing your machine has fixed Hi and Lo jets (not adjustable), but if they are adjustable, it may be as simple as an over-lean idle (LO) jet.

Should have you sorted.

Good luck,

J

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.