Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (code_ceis, 3 invisible), 108 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#944707 - 09/13/18 02:33 PM Generator to power; independent wire system
MatthewinGA Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA. (DIXIE)
I’m am planning in my head a way to use my generator to power some appliances during a power outage. I don’t want to back-feed my power panel or tie into the main wiring. I want an entirely independent system.

I have a 5500 run watt generator, 6875 starting watts. 4 120v GFI 20 amp. 1 outlet for 120v/240v 30amp. 6 gallons capacity. Ryobi RY905500, $599.99.

I want to run the basics: (NOT ALL AT THE SAME TIME) portable a/c unit, space heaters, fans, lights, refrigerator, TV, microwave, charging mobile phones and laptops.

My idea is to to run Romex (because I have a roll of it) wire and install some “generator only” outlets next to the areas that I plan on using appliances.

I have an unfinished basement which will make it easy to run the wires. I would set up the generator outside in the backyard or on the back deck.

I would like to use an outdoor box to plug the 4 outlets into a box inside the basement. Running the Romex (because I have a roll of it) to the 4 standard outlets I created on the main living level. Also have a ground stake.

I don’t really want to run long extension cords through the house. Long heavy cords are expensive and a trip hazard. 3 running dogs make it complicated too. I don’t mine shorter, close to the application extended cords.

Anybody else have this kind of set up or use a generator to power their off grid shed or cabin?

Edited by MatthewinGA (09/13/18 03:35 PM)

#944711 - 09/13/18 03:02 PM Re: Generator to power; independent wire system [Re: MatthewinGA]
code_ceis Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: muttonville,ny
Just label all boxes generator power only. Make sure all wiring is separate. You can hard wire a cord to an input box and just plug it in as needed.

If the neutral and ground are bonded in the generator just make sure they do not get bonded again.

Yes a ground rod should be used for lightning protection.

Make sure exhaust is far enough away from house.

“I always get to where I’m going by walking away from where I’ve been.”
— Winnie the Pooh

#944713 - 09/13/18 03:34 PM Re: Generator to power; independent wire system [Re: code_ceis]
MatthewinGA Offline

Originally Posted By code_ceis
Just label all boxes generator power only. Make sure all wiring is separate. You can hard wire a cord to an input box and just plug it in as needed.

If the neutral and ground are bonded in the generator just make sure they do not get bonded again.

Yes a ground rod should be used for lightning protection.

Make sure exhaust is far enough away from house.

Yes, everything clearly labeled “Generator Only.”

The generator will be far enough from the house for fumes and fire.

I don’t understand what you mean about the neutral and ground bonded in the generator. The generator has a ground terminal on the frame with nut and screw on it. It’s also GFCI. Can you explain that detail?

#944734 - 09/13/18 08:18 PM Re: Generator to power; independent wire system [Re: MatthewinGA]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I don’t understand what you mean about the neutral and ground bonded in the generator. The generator has a ground terminal on the frame with nut and screw on it. It’s also GFCI. Can you explain that detail?

From front page of manual.

Quote:
NEUTRAL BONDED TO FRAME

The ground goes to frame. So the two are bonded toghter.

If you use this with a transfer switch to a grounded / bonded panel you would un-bond from the frame.

On page 2

Quote:
GROUNDING THE GENERATOR
If this generator will be used only with cord and plug-connected equipment,
National Electric Code does not require that the unit be grounded. However, other
methods of using the generator may require grounding to reduce the risk of shock
or electrocution. Consult a qualified electrician, electrical inspector, or local agency
having jurisdiction for local codes or ordinances to find out if grounding is needed
in your situation before using the generator.
When grounding is required, the nut and ground terminal on the frame are used
to connect the generator to a suitable ground source. The ground path should be
made with #8 size wire. Connect the terminal of the ground wire between the lock
washer and the nut, and tighten the nut fully. Connect the other end of the wire
securely to a suitable ground source that is in contact with the soil for a minimum
distance of 8 ft.

Good luck with storm be safe.

Code

— Winnie the Pooh

#944782 - 09/14/18 09:47 PM Re: Generator to power; independent wire system [Re: MatthewinGA]
MatthewinGA Offline

Does this idea seem totally unorthodox or highly dangerous or even illegal?

#944783 - 09/14/18 10:19 PM Re: Generator to power; independent wire system [Re: MatthewinGA]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By MatthewinGA
Does this idea seem totally unorthodox or highly dangerous or even illegal?

No pretty common in some areas.

— Winnie the Pooh

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.