Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (AnthraciteSparky, bilvihur, 2 invisible), 229 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#944368 - 09/06/18 10:56 AM Shocking water well
harryp3 Offline
enthusiast

Registered: 06/09/03
Posts: 316
Loc: Baltimore, MD
I need to shock my well ( a little bacteria found and Iron discoloration) I think I found the source of the bacteria- a small hole in the well casing- now repaired...

I am trying to figure out how much bleach to add....I don't know the depth of my well water....the old records say the well was drilled 390' deep...it's a 6" in dia well casing....does anyone know how much I should add or what the formula is?


Thnaks!

Top
#944370 - 09/06/18 12:13 PM Re: Shocking water well [Re: harryp3]
mommapup. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Registered: 12/19/07
Posts: 22628
Loc: SW Michigan
Not sure what the formula is, but our well driller dumped several handfuls of tablets into our 72', 4" newly drilled well.
_________________________
Yeah I've got O.C.D. Old, cranky, and dangerous.

Everything will kill you, so choose something fun!

Top
#944380 - 09/06/18 04:11 PM Re: Shocking water well [Re: harryp3]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Registered: 01/20/04
Posts: 53225
Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....

Top
#944381 - 09/06/18 04:14 PM Re: Shocking water well [Re: harryp3]
harryp3 Offline
enthusiast

Registered: 06/09/03
Posts: 316
Loc: Baltimore, MD
Thanks- that's good info, but is dependant upon knowing how much water is in the well, which I do not..I'm tempted to just put 2 gallons in ...I just don't want to spend a week getting it thru the system...

Top
#944382 - 09/06/18 04:35 PM Re: Shocking water well [Re: harryp3]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Registered: 01/20/04
Posts: 53225
Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
True story...

When I was a lad, I had to shock my well in order to pass a home sale inspection. Well guy said pour one gallon of bleach down the well.

In my wisdom, I figured if one gallon was good, four must be better.

A half hour after pouring said bleach, I noticed "smoke" coming up out of the casing.

My bleach had eaten through the wires to the pump.

I ended up having to replace the pump. frown

Top
#944434 - 09/07/18 03:33 PM Re: Shocking water well [Re: harryp3]
harryp3 Offline
enthusiast

Registered: 06/09/03
Posts: 316
Loc: Baltimore, MD
LOL....I think your wisdom was right.....must have been inferior wiring smile

Top
#944492 - 09/09/18 12:59 PM Re: Shocking water well [Re: harryp3]
harryp3 Offline
enthusiast

Registered: 06/09/03
Posts: 316
Loc: Baltimore, MD
all done- just for History...I put 2 gallons of diluted ( 1 gall of bleach in 5 gall of water) in the well. Ran the hose back into the well for 45 mins..still could not smell chlorine. Added another diluted gallon of bleach (total 3 gallons of bleach); ran the hose back into the well for 20 mins and could smell chlorine. Ran all the fixtures, washer, dishwasher in the house and could smell chlorine in 10 mins +/-.

Let it all cook for 24 hours, drained water out of the well- for about an hour and a half. Let the well pump rest for 2 hours. Ran water out of all fixtures, water heater , etc. and water is clear w/o chlorine smell. I'll re-test for Bacteria in 7-10 days.

Top



Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.