Handyman Wire

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 220 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#943042 - 08/06/18 05:22 AM Weed eater has spark, compression, fuel and won't
Foreverwood Offline

Loc: Florida,USA
I'll have to say this is a new issue for me. I have never had a small engine with all 3 and wouldn't start. This is a friend's weed eater that just stopped on him. I checked it out and found it had low compression ( 40 psi ). I found the rings seized and changed them out. The compression is now 110 psi and still won't start. I was stunned because prior to the day it stopped it ran pretty good. I exchanged the plug with one that I know works and still no start. I used a little 2 cycle to prime the engine by the way and in no way flooded the engine. I checked the gap on the plug as well which was way too large to start. I checked it both with a tester and without. The spark which did appear orange is now white not blue. The spark arrestor is clean and clear. When I had it apart the flywheel key certainly doesn't appear to be broken. The only thing that I can think of at this point is possibly the magneto though showing spark might not be strong enough. I say this only based on the fact that I've heard that happening once. Any thoughts?

#943049 - 08/06/18 01:41 PM Re: Weed eater has spark, compression, fuel and won't [Re: Foreverwood]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Huntsville AL
Bad fuel.

#943050 - 08/06/18 03:16 PM Re: Weed eater has spark, compression, fuel and won't [Re: Able_Dog]
Foreverwood Offline

Not even a week old yet. Here in south Fl we have to cut constantly year round so there's always fresh gas. Thanks

#943052 - 08/06/18 06:38 PM Re: Weed eater has spark, compression, fuel and won't [Re: Foreverwood]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Huntsville AL
What part of So Florida?

#943061 - 08/06/18 10:11 PM Re: Weed eater has spark, compression, fuel and won't [Re: Foreverwood]
Foreverwood Offline

Miami

#943066 - 08/07/18 07:50 AM Re: Weed eater has spark, compression, fuel and won't [Re: Foreverwood]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
Personally, I put little faith in judging spark colour. It's a there-or-not-there test to me. Salt air will make a spark look orange. Just after a rain, it'll look blue/white. Tells you more about your air than your spark.

In my experience, if I have spark, air and fuel, with compression, but fail to get fire, it's flooded every time. Try cranking with the fuel disconnected or pinched off. Give it a good dozen cranks with the throttle held open. If, after a few pulls, it fires off it was flooded.

J

#943094 - 08/07/18 08:48 PM Re: Weed eater has spark, compression, fuel and won't [Re: JasonB]
Foreverwood Offline

Honestly, I've never placed much faith in spark color either, but after being stumped with this I had to find some reason. As far as the weed eater being flooded, I was pretty certain that it wasn't, but after you suggested that I just hoped that it was. Unfortunately it didn't start. I drained all the gas and just placed a little into the carb. Twenty pulls and still no start. I decided to do the compression test again but again it was 110. I think I'm going to try switching the magneto. I wouldn't normally do that, but after reading that some guy had spark and had a no start , I think it couldn't hurt. He had compression, spark, and fuel. He stated that he switched it and it started. He said he switched it back to make sure and it didn't start again. So he knew it was that. The only reason I even thought in that realm in order to research magnetos is the fact that on some lawn mowers the magneto sparks but once it heats up it shuts down. So I figured I must try something else. Thanks for the reply

#943214 - 08/12/18 12:15 AM Re: Weed eater has spark, compression, fuel and won't [Re: Foreverwood]
Foreverwood Offline

The more I think about this the more I feel I need to look at that flywheel key closer.

#943505 - 08/20/18 09:32 AM Re: Weed eater has spark, compression, fuel and won't [Re: Foreverwood]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
Check that the flywheel key isn't damaged? It sets the ignition timing. Spark at the wrong time is no use.

J

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.