Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 215 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#942037 - 07/10/18 09:34 PM T8 LED Lamps - Direct Short?
wirehead43 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: SC
I'm replacing 48-inch T8 fluorescent lamps with T8 LED lamps. I've disconnected the ballasts and connected line power to one end of the LED lamps so marked. Works great. Out of curiosity I checked the two pins on the opposite end of the LED lamps and found they are actually joined internal to the lamps. So if someone inserts an LED lamp in the wrong direction it will be a direct line short that trips the breaker, fries some wiring or damages the lamp. Why would the lamps be configured this way or am I missing something? Seems that when replacing a lamp the average person would stand a 50:50 chance of getting it wrong.

#942038 - 07/10/18 11:06 PM Re: T8 LED Lamps - Direct Short? [Re: wirehead43]
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jayhawk Land
I recently replaced my Church's yard sign fluorescent bulbs with LED equivalents. I daisy chained the hot on the bottom and neutral on top. The bulbs were marked with hot and neutral ends, so I could keep them straight. I also wrote a note with a Sharpie on the inside of the sign to alert the next guy, just in case.

Could your installation also use polarity specific bulbs?

Bob.

#942048 - 07/11/18 06:25 AM Re: T8 LED Lamps - Direct Short? [Re: wirehead43]
jdevlin Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Welland Ont. Canada
Measure the other end and I bet you get the same reading.
There is probably a transformer on the input to drop the 120 AC to 2 v and convert it to DC. A transformer will measure as a short.

#942053 - 07/11/18 08:57 AM Re: T8 LED Lamps - Direct Short? [Re: wirehead43]
wirehead43 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: SC
Thanks for the suggestions.

On these bulbs the line connections (hot and neutral) both connect to the same end of the bulb marked as "LINE". There is no keying to prevent the bulbs from being installed in the opposite direction.

I didn't think to check if both ends of the bulb have the same resistance reading but will do so. But if both ends are the same, why would only one end be marked as "LINE" or even marked at all ??

Seems like a strange setup. Will let you know what I find.

Thanks again !

#942057 - 07/11/18 10:41 AM Re: T8 LED Lamps - Direct Short? [Re: wirehead43]
jdevlin Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Welland Ont. Canada
Post make and model of bulb or link so I can research online.

You could also try measuring from one end to the other to see if they are connected.

#942080 - 07/11/18 03:26 PM Re: T8 LED Lamps - Direct Short? [Re: wirehead43]
AnthraciteSparky Offline
Handyman

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
Are the tombstones shunted or not ? I am in the process of converting a retro high school. It contains 22 apartments, a nursing school and a senior day care/ health center. As long as both LED tubes are inserted exactly alike we never have an issue. Even if you disregard the "L"&"N" they will illuminate properly.
Of course I am posting of ballast bypass LEDs, no practical reason to do otherwise. It is 2018.

Edited by AnthraciteSparky (07/11/18 04:01 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.