Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 199 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#940681 - 06/14/18 10:27 PM Husqvarna push trimmer cranks up, won't stay
terrapin05 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Southern Maryland
Common problem of mine. Was cutting the ditch right along with my push wheel string trimmer when it conked out. It would crank up but not stay running. Drained fuel, took off carb bowl and carb and cleaned/sprayed with cleaner, and put a shop towel in fuel tank and wiped around clean. Put in new fuel. Cranked right up and ran for about 4-5 minutes, then did same thing and conked out and will start but not at usual high sound, then dies. Is it still a fuel issue or possible blockage/trash somewhere? TIA.

#940783 - 06/18/18 09:14 AM Re: Husqvarna push trimmer cranks up, won't stay [Re: terrapin05]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
What sort of engine are we talking about? 2 cycle, 4 cycle, brand? Sounds like a 4 cycle, like a brush hog?

What if you simply loosen the gas cap? Will that result in a restart? If so, gas tank venting is the issue.

How's spark upon quitting? If spark is weak/non-existent for some time after quitting, it'll be an ignition issue.

The new fuel could have helped (perhaps the old was contaminated/degraded?), or could be a red herring (perhaps the ignition's bad, and only works when it cools down)?

I've seen some L-head engines that would behave like this because their exhaust valve guide was worn, and the valve would hang when hot.

Insufficient info.

J

#940822 - 06/18/18 10:07 PM Re: Husqvarna push trimmer cranks up, won't stay [Re: terrapin05]
terrapin05 Offline
enthusiast

This is just a regular old Briggs engine, 4 stroke (gas/oil separate). All other pieces of equipment are running from the same fuel up and extra tank, and the drained gas did not appear to be funky or have moisture. Have used every week lately until now. First time it happened, I was about done all the ditches and had been using for 15 minutes or so at least, so it had to be already hot. It's only about a year old and garage kept. It was revving up to normal speed when cranking and then dying, but now it starts but has less pep and putters out without full normal revup upon start.

#940841 - 06/19/18 12:47 PM Re: Husqvarna push trimmer cranks up, won't stay [Re: terrapin05]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Well, again, it could be a fuel or an ignition issue. Fuel is easier to sort, generally, so I'd suggest cleaning the carb, it could simply be debris. It does sound like a fuel system issue.

If that doesn't sort it, move on to ignition. Sadly, the only practical repair is replacement of the ignition, which isn't cost free.

J

#942036 - 07/10/18 10:14 PM Re: Husqvarna push trimmer cranks up, won't stay [Re: terrapin05]
terrapin05 Offline
enthusiast

Finally gave it a second more thorough carb clean tonight and seems to be resolved. My blower was acting up so cleaned that also and both are working. Double wammy

#942165 - 07/13/18 11:50 PM Re: Husqvarna push trimmer cranks up, won't stay [Re: terrapin05]
terrapin05 Offline
enthusiast

Gonna have to turn it over to the experts. I clean the carb, it works perfect for 15 or 20 minutes and then begins getting bogged down and cuts off. Am I not totally getting it clean and it gets blocked partially again, or is it somehow gettting stuff in there that shouldn’t be somehow? Or something separate from carb?

#942169 - 07/14/18 07:34 AM Re: Husqvarna push trimmer cranks up, won't stay [Re: terrapin05]
notnew2diy Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: harvard, il.
"it works perfect for 15 or 20 minutes and then begins getting bogged down and cuts off.".....

Almost sounds electrical...but Im no expert.
I know..apples to oranges...your symptoms w/my old Ford tractor are classic of a melted coil. Doubt you've got a coil like a Ford, but maybe???

Good luck...notnew...

#942171 - 07/14/18 07:55 AM Re: Husqvarna push trimmer cranks up, won't stay [Re: terrapin05]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
As Jason indicated, I'd be looking at fuel delivery. Tank not vented, debris in tank obstructing outlet, hose pinched, fuel filter, vapor lock in hose, needle valve stuck...

#942215 - 07/16/18 09:18 AM Re: Husqvarna push trimmer cranks up, won't stay [Re: terrapin05]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Does loosening the fuel cap get it back to operation when it begins to bog (going lean)?

#942219 - 07/16/18 09:42 AM Re: Husqvarna push trimmer cranks up, won't stay [Re: terrapin05]
terrapin05 Offline
enthusiast

I will try to see if it's a venting issue or if it will help by loosening cap. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.