Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 199 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#483414 - 09/10/08 07:38 AM Re: winter pool cover [Re: Lungman00]
Paradox Offline
fanatic

Loc: WA/US & Canada
I have an inground, however some of the following may help, Drain the pool down past the skimmer and returns. Put styrofoam pieces (break up the stuff that comes with electronics) into the skimmer. Put styrofoam rope into the returns (buy at a pool store)and plug the opening. Put your cover on but do not stretch your cover to be tight over the pool, but let it hang loosely down the sides and float on the water. It should hang down the sides a foot or so. Cover with an inch or so of water and it should cling tightly to the sides. If the cover fills with fall rain and the water underneath rises into the skimmer or returns, the styrofoam will prevent cracking from the ice as it will take up the ice expansion. Again, this works for my inground pool and my winter cover is 19 year old. Hope some of this helps.

#483415 - 09/10/08 09:35 AM Re: winter pool cover [Re: BillJeffy]
Japper Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wisconsin
Thanks for the info...

I most likely will have to drain the pool level below the skimmer in order to attach the skimmer cover with screws as BillJeffy uses but maybe not the plastic one without screws that was also mentioned or does leaving the screws in the skimmer that are not on the plate prevent water from, seeping between the liner and the pool side wall?

In either case, I will have to drain the pool below the pump inlet to install this plug otherwise I will get
water betwen the liner and the pool side wall at that location won't I?

Please advise and thanks for the help!

#483416 - 09/10/08 09:45 AM Re: winter pool cover [Re: Japper]
BillJeffy Offline
Don't Know Squat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New England
Quote:

Thanks for the info...

.....or does leaving the screws in the skimmer that are not on the plate prevent water from, seeping between the liner and the pool side wall?

otherwise I will get water betwen the liner and the pool side wall at that location won't I?

Yes....and....No

Liner is not affected...
err....I'm not a Doctor, but I'll take a LOOK ! !

#483417 - 09/11/08 02:19 PM Re: winter pool cover [Re: Japper]
bassadict69 Offline

Loc: Benton, La
Quote:

You do not drain the water below your skimmer?

Are you in a northern winter freeze climate?

I had a cracked skimmer two years ago from ice damage so I am concerned about
not draining the water below the skimmer and water inlet port.

The cover does not fit very well around the skimmer and I usually gather it
with the cable just under the upper pool rail over the skimmer so the only place the wind could get
that way would be through the disconnected Skimmer holes...

I guess I am not sure what you mean by putting a skimmer cover on under water unless you are
referring to not draining the skimmer and removing the pump...

I appreciate your patience and suggestions but I am trying to understand how you suggesting
that I do this.

In regards to the previous post reply from the person with the 27' pool and the 28' pool cover;
how far down below the uppoer pool rails is your cable and how do your place this cover over your skimmer?

Is it best to keep the cable as low as it fits down around the pool or is it better to roll it up so it is
snug under the upper pool rails before tightening the cable?

thanks everybody.

My cover stays extended a little over a foot down the outside of the pool. I string the cable through all the grommets & when I tighten the cable, it bunches the cover up a little but no more than a couple of inches, so it is still down the wall almost a foot or so.

As far as the skimmer, I drain below the skimmer but do not block it off. The cover will not stretch over the skimmer so I simply keep it on top of the skimmer & kind of tuck it under the pool rim there at the skimmer.

I think we will be shutting it down this weekend. I will try to get pics once we get it covered.

#483418 - 09/15/08 12:18 PM Re: winter pool cover [Re: bassadict69]
bassadict69 Offline

I still have not been able to get you some pics but I did get my cover on Friday before Hurricane Ike came up our way. It was a little interesting getting it covered in 15-20mph winds but the cover stayed in place all weekend through 40-50 mph winds.

I will try to get some pics up in the next day or two...

#483419 - 09/16/08 01:51 PM Re: winter pool cover [Re: bassadict69]
Japper Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wisconsin
thanks bassadict69

I am looking forward to seeing your pictures of this.

#483420 - 09/18/08 09:31 AM Re: winter pool cover [Re: Japper]
bassadict69 Offline

Sorry about the delay...I will try to get them tonight!

#483421 - 09/21/08 09:27 PM Re: winter pool cover [Re: bassadict69]
bassadict69 Offline

I was planning on getting the pics Thursday night but I got a call that night saying I needed to go to Houston, So, here are the pics a couple of days later...Hope this helps ya out!

#483422 - 10/31/08 04:47 PM Re: winter pool cover [Re: Lungman00]
pirosko Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
To prevent the wind from whipping the cover all over, my pool store folks told me to tie nylon rope over the top of the cover in an X pattern, or any other type of pattern that will cover it. I have an 18X36 above ground and I have ropes in an X pattern and along the long sides about 2 feet in. The ropes are tied to the deck, tent pegs, or any other object that is stable enough. Current cover is now 4 years old without even a seem separating. Water bags and other methods put too much stress on the fabric, even when it is not windy.

#941713 - 07/04/18 09:12 AM Re: winter pool cover [Re: Japper]
Ichtel Offline

Loc: USA,Califo
I apologize for bump an old topic from the dead, just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future.Well as a long time (17 years) above ground pool owner, I've tried all the tricks and gimmicks and found my own personal solution(s). First, I use two large semi truck tire inner tubes stacked and duct taped together to keep them that way and use four 1/4 inch nylon ropes, evenly spaced to tie them off in the center of the pool. Second, I remove the directional ball cap of the incoming line from the pool pump and plug the line with a rubber expansion plug. Third, I've buyed a plexiglass pool cover https://thehomedweller.com/best-pool-covers/ with gasket that I place over the skimmer opening using the screws that hold the skimmer in place to secure it. Fourth, I fill the pool to within 4 inches of the top of the pool, then pull the cover over it. I no longer use the cable to secure the cover, I use one gallon milk jugs filled with water and hang a jug on each grommet. Most covers will have two grommets side by side for the cable to run through and I attach a jug filled with water on each grommet. The process of hanging jugs takes two people working opposite of each other to keep the cover from sliding off. Once all the jugs are hung, the cover stays taut, no water or debris gathers on top of the pool and spring opening is a snap! I disconnect the pool filter completely, drain it and put it in the garage for the winter.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.