Handyman Wire

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 222 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
New Reply
Topic Options
#940624 - 06/13/18 02:57 PM locked door opens when pulled
jaykim Offline

I have the garage door with lock, and depending on the weather, I think, it opens when pulled after locking and closing it. I think door and its frame contracts and expands depending on humidity, and because of that many times it does not work. I attached the photo for your view.

[img]https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOm...kZGM0s1dEtKdWl3[/img]

I went to the Home Depot to replace the lock, but after I explained to the HD staff, he said the replacing the lock would not solve the problem.

I tried to adjust the lock metal panel on the other side, but it does not seem to help greatly.

Could you please give any suggestion on what to do?

Thank you very much.

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#940626 - 06/13/18 03:50 PM Re: locked door opens when pulled [Re: jaykim]
bilvihur Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Hudson Valley, New York
It would seem the latch (on the door) is not engaging the strike plate (on the frame) securely. A 1/16" plastic spacer (or two) under the strike plate (with longer screws) should give you a good engagement.

#940630 - 06/13/18 04:29 PM Re: locked door opens when pulled [Re: jaykim]
jdevlin Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Welland Ont. Canada
Also appears the hole behind the strike plate could be chiselled out more. It is not full square to match the strike plate.

#940631 - 06/13/18 05:35 PM Re: locked door opens when pulled [Re: jaykim]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
What they said, but for real security, install a deadbolt. Even if that doorknob latches into its' hole, it would not take much to kick/nudge it open.

#940632 - 06/13/18 05:44 PM Re: locked door opens when pulled [Re: bilvihur]
jaykim Offline

Thank you very much for the reply, bilvihur.

I think I tried inserting some type of wash between the strike plate and the wood. This sometimes work, but not all the time. I think currently, some wood chip is inserted for this effect. But still it opens. If I insert a little thicker washer or wood chip, the door will not close when the humidity level goes up.

I have questions.
Is it possible that the lock latch gets worn out over time so if I replace it, will it work? Is there any longer latch lock for this type of lock? Where can I buy the 1/16" plastic spacer, Home Depot?

Thank you very much.

Edited by jaykim (06/13/18 05:52 PM)

#940633 - 06/13/18 05:50 PM Re: locked door opens when pulled [Re: jdevlin]
jaykim Offline

Thank you very much for the reply, jdevlin.

I think I chiseled out some wood to make sure. Sometimes, it works, so I think the hole is OK. Is there any other suggestions to try? How about the door side? If I somehow move the door lock position to the strike plate side(so the latch area may stick out a little), will it help?

Thank you very much.

Edited by jaykim (06/13/18 05:53 PM)

#940634 - 06/13/18 05:51 PM Re: locked door opens when pulled [Re: Just_Bill]
jaykim Offline

Thank you very much for the reply, Just_Bill.

If all my attempts fail, I am thinking about this too.

Thank you very much.

#940635 - 06/13/18 05:57 PM Re: locked door opens when pulled [Re: jdevlin]
Clint_Robbins Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Akron, OH
Quote:
Also appears the hole behind the strike plate could be chiselled out more. It is not full square to match the strike plate.

My guess is that the latch isn't entering completely into the strike plate opening either because the wood needs to be removed flush with the strike plate opening and/or the strike plate needs to be moved slightly toward the door.

#940636 - 06/13/18 06:06 PM Re: locked door opens when pulled [Re: Clint_Robbins]
jaykim Offline

Thank you very much for the reply, Clint_Robbins.

The strike place was moved to the right (as shown on the photo) to make it work better. The thing is it works often and does not open when locked and closed, when, I think, the humidity is high.

And if I move the strike place more toward the door by inserting some sort of thin washer, if the weather changes, I think, the door does not close because the strike plate sticks out a little bit.

So, I am thinking the problem is on the door and lock side,

Thank you very much.

#940639 - 06/13/18 07:30 PM Re: locked door opens when pulled [Re: jaykim]
jdevlin Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Welland Ont. Canada
By the wear on the strike plate it looks like the catch is not centered. It appears to be very close the bottom of the hole in the strike plate. If the door was to shift down or the frame up slightly, the latch would not fall into the hole.

Take the strike plate off and file the hole lower. Cut the hole in the wood to match.

You could try shifting the plate down slightly but the screw holes will try to pull it back to the original position.

How are the hinges and screws? Loose screws could be letting the door sag.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is disabled

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.