Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 215 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#940616 - 06/13/18 12:19 PM Electrical Connections at J Box in Attic
allbutnuts Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Renovation project in US.

Have Romex 12/3 cables from 2pole 20 amp breaker wired to junction box in attic. Have 12/3 wires pulled from walls below into the attic ready to tie into the same junction box. These 12/3 wires will feed split receptacles (different circuits top and bottom in each individual box.... breaking off hot connector tab, sharing the neutral) in walls I have studded up.

Problem is that the Receptacles that I want to supply are on perpendicular walls. I currently have 2- 12/3 wires dropped thru top plate down at the perpendicular intersection where the 2 walls meet +/-. One 12/3 is connected to daisy chained receptacles in left wall and the other 12/3 is connected and daisy chained to receptacles in the perpendicular wall. So, NOTHING currently tied together electrically between the 2 walls..... and only 2- 12/3 wires stubbed up into attic.

So, these 2 cables are coming down in the middle of the run of receptacles, but I want all top split receptacles in both walls to be on the same circuit.

Heres the question: Can I tie all my reds, blacks, & neutrals together (by color... not all together) for the two cables coming from the top plate inside the junction box, THEN, tie all the individual joined reds, blacks, whites from the load lines to the one 12/3 cable individual wires supplying the junction box and accomplish what I'm after?

If I was starting at one end of the circuit and daisy chaining everything I would know what to do, but it's throwing me off that I'm connecting in the middle. I had to do this because only way (easiest) to get cable to attic.

As an aside I originally thought I would use one of the receptacles as a junction box and do basically the same thing there with one cable leading to attic junction box instead of the two I have.... but too many wires for box fill requirements. If that were not a problem, it would be the same thing correct?

Anyway, Just seems counter intuitive to me that you can split a wire in the middle of a run then tap power into the middle so I'm double checking on this.

THANKS!

#940619 - 06/13/18 01:40 PM Re: Electrical Connections at J Box in Attic [Re: allbutnuts]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: muttonville,ny
Yes using proper listed connectors and make sure to not exceed box fill.

Do not be a Monday. No one likes Mondays.

#940623 - 06/13/18 02:50 PM Re: Electrical Connections at J Box in Attic [Re: allbutnuts]
AnthraciteSparky Offline
Handyman

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
If you are tugging 12/3 Romex how are you going to be able to satisfy the code required AFCI breakers ? Curious as you cannot share neutrals.

Edited by AnthraciteSparky (06/13/18 02:51 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#940628 - 06/13/18 04:17 PM Re: Electrical Connections at J Box in Attic [Re: AnthraciteSparky]
allbutnuts Offline

Help me out with the arc fault requirement. Not familiar with this requirement. The receptacles I'm running are for a shop and no water involved so gfci not required. will be above (and below) work bench counter (open below for now).

Thanks both of you for talking me through this.

#940637 - 06/13/18 06:08 PM Re: Electrical Connections at J Box in Attic [Re: allbutnuts]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Not required in your area or your application.

#940638 - 06/13/18 06:08 PM Re: Electrical Connections at J Box in Attic [Re: AnthraciteSparky]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

They do now make AFCI shared neutral breakers.

#940655 - 06/14/18 09:23 AM Re: Electrical Connections at J Box in Attic [Re: allbutnuts]
allbutnuts Offline

Gathering that what I'm describing works. Just making sure as answers to post kind of took a turn in talking about afci after the first response.

Thanks everyone.

#940661 - 06/14/18 12:20 PM Re: Electrical Connections at J Box in Attic [Re: allbutnuts]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By allbutnuts
Gathering that what I'm describing works. Just making sure as answers to post kind of took a turn in talking about afci after the first response.

Thanks everyone.

The areas requiring AFCIs are listed below.

Quote:
2014 NEC(B) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and
20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in
dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms,
parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation
rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be
protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter,
combination-type, installed to provide protection of the
branch circuit.Added in 2017 kitchens and laundry areas.

Edited by code_ceis (06/14/18 12:21 PM)

#940662 - 06/14/18 01:06 PM Re: Electrical Connections at J Box in Attic [Re: allbutnuts]
allbutnuts Offline

Thanks again for your help with this

#940702 - 06/15/18 12:25 PM Re: Electrical Connections at J Box in Attic [Re: allbutnuts]
allbutnuts Offline

Trying to dumb this down for myself so I can quit thinking about it.

Can someone explain to me what (if any) difference there is between the following 3 wiring methods?
Assume wiring 12/ 2 to 2 receptacles with the intention being to have all receptacles on the same circuit.

1) Receptacles wired directly to the breaker and neutral bus.
Screw black wire 1 coming from receptacle 1 directly to breaker
Screw white wire 1 coming from receptacle 1 directly to neutral bus
Screw black wire 2 coming from receptacle 2 directly to breaker
Screw white wire 2 coming from receptacle 2 directly to neutral bus

2)Receptacles wired to breaker via junction box.
Run black wire from breaker to junction box
Run white wire from neutral bus to junction box
Wire nut black wire 1 from receptacle 1 to black wire in junction box
Wire nut white wire 1 from receptacle 1 to white wire in junction box
Wire nut black wire 2 from receptacle 2 to black wires already connected in junction box
Wire nut white wire 2 from receptacle 2 to white wires already connected in junction box
I'm thinking this basically just eliminates extra cable required to wire version "1" above.

3)Receptacles wired to breaker via junction box connected in series
Run black wire from breaker to junction box
Run white wire from neutral bus to junction box
Wire nut black wire 1 from receptacle 1 to black wire in junction box
Wire nut white wire 1 from receptacle 1 to white wire in junction box
Screw black wire 2 from receptacle 1 to receptacle 2
Screw white wire 2 from receptacle 1 to receptacle 2
Thinking this basically just eliminates even more cable from version 1 and 2 above.

If all these scenarios accomplish the same thing and there is no down side (assuming same # of receptacles each scenario regardless of count), other than convenience and cost saving potential, any reason why I would want to choose one method over another.

Edited by allbutnuts (06/15/18 12:27 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.