Handyman Wire

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 110 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#940458 - 06/09/18 09:37 PM Honda 5 HP 4-Cycle Engine Problem
Clint_Robbins Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Akron, OH
The mower would only run on full choke for some time and then began hardly running at all. I soaked the Kei Hin BE carb in white vinegar and cleaned the passages. It started quickly and runs good on full choke again, but sputters and quits when I move away from the choke position.

The carb has a tube about 5/16" in diameter which extends into the bowl. Inside is a screw which I couldn't get out. What is the screw and should it be removed and cleaned? Does this problem appear to be caused by a dirty carb?

I've never changed any carb settings - is it possible that adjusting the carb settings might correct the problem?

#940511 - 06/11/18 06:21 AM Re: Honda 5 HP 4-Cycle Engine Problem [Re: Clint_Robbins]
Clint_Robbins Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Akron, OH
Bump

#940513 - 06/11/18 07:46 AM Re: Honda 5 HP 4-Cycle Engine Problem [Re: Clint_Robbins]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Pretty sure you have a clogged jet. I'd remove it again and take some aresol carb cleaner and focus the nozzle spray into every oriface you can find.

Replacement carbs are really inexpensive...

#940527 - 06/11/18 11:33 AM Re: Honda 5 HP 4-Cycle Engine Problem [Re: Clint_Robbins]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
Agree with CC. Most carbs today do not include any adjustable
jets (needle valves). If it ran once, and doesn't run well now, something is likely clogged.

When you open a carb, you usually do so by removing a brass bolt at the bottom of the carb bowl. This is generally also the main jet. There is typically a hole in the side of the threads that also feeds the idle jets.

Spray thru the main jet, and up the hole where it installs. Also, look in the throttle (engine) end of the carb's venturi. You'll typically see 3-4 small holes (hair-size) drilled in a group where the throttle butterfly closes against the wall. These are fed from the main jet, via the hole in the side, as mentioned above. You can spray in the hole that feeds them with WD40 or similar, and you should be able to see it come out those transition holes in the venturi. If not, there's a clog in that passage. It'd be accessed by removing the welsh plug in the outside of the carb body, just outside those transition holes.

Believe that's where the trouble would be.

Other possible issues could be a worn throttle shaft (causes air leak), or a poor gasket seal between carb and engine somewhere.

Failing that, as CC observes, replacement carbs are cheaper than you may think today.

J

#940609 - 06/13/18 11:38 AM Re: Honda 5 HP 4-Cycle Engine Problem [Re: Clint_Robbins]
notnew2diy Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: harvard, il.
When you can get it to run, spray WD40 around the carb.
Might find an air leak.

HTH...good luck....notnew....

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.