Handyman Wire

Who's Online
5 registered (JasonB, e_a_g_l_e_p_i, bilvihur, 2 invisible), 139 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#939412 - 05/24/18 10:32 AM Central Air unit replacement
rjoubert Offline

The fan motor on my central air unit had been intermittently failing since Sunday (5/20). I had my thermostat set to 72, but the temperature was reading 75. I had the fan motor replaced on Tuesday (5/22). The Airtron technician is pushing to have the whole central air unit replaced, since it is 12 years old, and he said that the compressor took a hit since the fan was not able to cool it sufficiently. The a/c is working now and keeping up with demand. Is he just trying to upsell me on a new system, or should I actually replace the unit before it completely dies?

Thanks in advance...

#939413 - 05/24/18 10:33 AM Re: Central Air unit replacement [Re: rjoubert]
rjoubert Offline

One more note...He also said the compressor was pulling the maximum number of amps, which is a sign it should be replaced, but he took the reading right after replacing the fan motor.

#939437 - 05/24/18 03:45 PM Re: Central Air unit replacement [Re: rjoubert]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Huntsville AL
12 years is not necessarily a long time. 12 years in Florida = 20 years in Vermont. Your location is not shown, I would not replace it, but I might look for pricing on systems and do other research so you are ready if it happens.

Count me for one no vote.

#940266 - 06/06/18 10:44 AM Re: Central Air unit replacement [Re: rjoubert]
rjoubert Offline

I'm in Indiana. It's been a week and half since the fan motor has been replaced, and the A/C is working perfectly. It is keeping up with demand. Also, Airtron has not called me to talk about replacing the A/C unit, like the technician said they would.

#940267 - 06/06/18 10:45 AM Re: Central Air unit replacement [Re: Able_Dog]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Originally Posted By Able_Dog
Count me for one no vote.

Same here.

Welcome to HW by the way. smile

#940392 - 06/08/18 12:41 PM Re: Central Air unit replacement [Re: rjoubert]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Huntsville AL
Too late now but maybe of help to lurkers, the fan motor is an easy replacement. I replaced one a few years ago. Not much to it and you can save on the fan purchase price as well as the labor.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.