Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (code_ceis, 3 invisible), 108 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#940201 - 06/05/18 09:52 AM lew0050pq1 Dryer blower
cpedrich Offline
fanatic

Loc: South Carolina
Hi Jeff and others,
When using the dryer, on occasion, the blower goes off for a few seconds then comes back on. Does not happen often, just enough for me to notice. The drum still spins during this.

Also, lately, when there is a heavy load to dry, it will spin fine for the first 20 minutes or so, then the drum "hangs up" and will not turn. You can hear a buzzing noise. I can open the door and spin it with my hand, and turn it back on to have it work fine. After another 10 minutes, the drum does the same thing. We will take out some of the items to make it lighter, then it works fine.

Thanks!

#940254 - 06/05/18 10:39 PM Re: lew0050pq1 Dryer blower [Re: cpedrich]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
Hi,

You still whipping this little thing wink

Quote:
When using the dryer, on occasion, the blower goes off for a few seconds then comes back on. Does not happen often, just enough for me to notice. The drum still spins during this.

Quote:
Also, lately, when there is a heavy load to dry, it will spin fine for the first 20 minutes or so, then the drum "hangs up" and will not turn.

Your dryer has 2 motors, one for the drum and one for the fan blower.
Kinda sounds like you have two issues frown

I don't know why or any good reason for turning off the fan blower motor at all, so this sounds un-normal to me! Might be a loose wire, loss of power from the control.

Second issue sounds more like something is weak and quiting ( hummmmming ), like a bad motor maybe.
A loose belt would certainly slip and would work better with smaller loads but I have not seen any motor quit and hummmm from a loose belt. A bad drum support could certainly bind and hold the motor back from running properly...but just spinning the drum would/should not allow a worn drum support to all of a sudden work.

jeff.

#940270 - 06/06/18 12:08 PM Re: lew0050pq1 Dryer blower [Re: jeff1]
cpedrich Offline
fanatic

Loc: South Carolina
I have two teenagers....can't afford to buy a new one. haha!

I have replaced the motors before and can find them for pretty good prices. I might go that route to see what happens. I think I will start off with a good cleaning first. I will tinker with it some to see what happens.

Thanks Jeff!

#940323 - 06/06/18 09:47 PM Re: lew0050pq1 Dryer blower [Re: cpedrich]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
A cleaning is a good idea! Blow out the motor well for sure.
One comes back as NLA now.

Quote:
I have two teenagers....can't afford to buy a new one.

You need a bigger dryer with 2 teenagers wink

jeff.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.