Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (gabby, twoshoes, 1 invisible), 205 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#939968 - 06/01/18 05:45 PM Java 8
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Somewhere under the sun
I use Java 8 and just updated to Java 8 update 171. After updating there was a note about the Oracle Java 8 SE roadmap and how future updates would not be posted.

So I found this article that speaks about the end of public updates for commercial use after 1/1/19.

I don't know enough about this stuff so am wondering is this going to effect me as a home user? Will I still get auto updates or will there be a new release that's going to be available. Just trying to figure out what is going to be expected. Thanks

#940063 - 06/03/18 09:18 AM Re: Java 8 [Re: dora]
rfm3 Offline
The Duke of Dremeland aka The Sagely One
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Soon to be in the US version o...
I can't really make heads or tales of the link other than they use the term commercial use, so not sure if commercial means for business only or not.

Sounds like they want people to go to the next level of software, but I am no expert. Sounds like no more updates will be provided for the current version.

I would imagine, like anything else, your stuff will work as it does now but no more fixes or updates.

#940190 - 06/04/18 11:59 PM Re: Java 8 [Re: dora]
Joe_Guy Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Redwood City CA
I think it’s because Java 9 is the most current version. They only support older versions for a limited time.

#940255 - 06/06/18 03:44 AM Re: Java 8 [Re: dora]
artbuc Offline
Handyman

Loc: Kennett Square, PA
Originally Posted By dora
I use Java 8 and just updated to Java 8 update 171. After updating there was a note about the Oracle Java 8 SE roadmap and how future updates would not be posted.

So I found this article that speaks about the end of public updates for commercial use after 1/1/19.

I don't know enough about this stuff so am wondering is this going to effect me as a home user? Will I still get auto updates or will there be a new release that's going to be available. Just trying to figure out what is going to be expected. Thanks

Dora, I dropped Java years ago. It was a major security problem with IE and I read that it was not essential for most users. One guy said he uninstalled it on a trial basis and after over one year did not have a single issue. So, I did the same. Have never had a single web site tell me it could not work without Java (not to be confused with JavaScript).

#946535 - 10/22/18 09:58 AM Re: Java 8 [Re: dora]
InsaneBrain Offline
first timer

I've just started using Java. Before I only have a knowledge of PHP from http://sosep.org. I'd like to ask some bits of advice for studying process.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.