Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (e_a_g_l_e_p_i, AnthraciteSparky), 236 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#937373 - 04/19/18 09:22 AM Slow Drain caused by vent valve?
TWLack Offline
journeyman

Loc: Port Charlotte, FL
I have a kitchen sink on a peninsula so 3 years ago, when I installed it, I used a vent valve. It is installed with the vent about 12" above where the trap enters the larger main drain.

It has worked well for 3 years. Put the drain started slowing down noticeably a few weeks ago. Plunger did the job. But slow down events got closer and closer until the plunger did not clear them.

So, after washing dishes we had a sink full of awful water. I pulled the vent valve and the water was practically sucked from the sink. So I bought a brand new Oatley valve, installed it and we are back to the slow drain.

Pulled the vent valve again. As it loosens you can hear the air suck past the threads with some force and the sink drains. But the valve back on and the drain stops again.

Could I have bought a bad valve? Seems like an awful coincidence. Any other thoughts?

I just tested the new valve by blowing into it and sucking air out, it works as it should.

Thanks,
Tim

Edited by TWLack (04/19/18 09:22 AM)

#937374 - 04/19/18 09:25 AM Re: Slow Drain caused by vent valve? [Re: TWLack]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
To confirm, is your AAV mounted vertically?

My guess is you have a clog pretty far downstream. Can you snake the line?

Edited add - In thinking about this more, you could also have a clogged main or main vent too...

Edited by CabinConnection (04/19/18 09:46 AM)

#938748 - 05/13/18 08:41 PM Re: Slow Drain caused by vent valve? [Re: TWLack]
jwh Offline

enthusiast

Would a clogged main empty like that when the vent is removed?
It sounds like a vacuum is being broken, so clogged vent seems more likely as I understand things.

#938764 - 05/14/18 07:11 AM Re: Slow Drain caused by vent valve? [Re: jwh]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Originally Posted By jwh
Would a clogged main empty like that when the vent is removed?
It sounds like a vacuum is being broken, so clogged vent seems more likely as I understand things.

FYI - After making the initial post in this thread, TWLack has not been back to HW. frown

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.