Handyman Wire

Who's Online
6 registered (twoshoes, bilvihur, 4 invisible), 147 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#936646 - 04/08/18 02:59 AM ventless vs direct vent
tuffy Offline

Loc: Kirksville,mo
We had a perfectly working fire place until one day we had a small flue fire i was going to let it burn it self out but a neighbor called the fire dept it was a really cold day and we had been burning all day the fire dept put just a little water down there cracking our flue all to heck so now i have 2 objections either get a ventless gas or direct vent gas which i would have to get a flue liner gasline and electric which route would you take they would be running all the time.

#936765 - 04/09/18 07:52 PM Re: ventless vs direct vent [Re: tuffy]
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Somewhere under the sun
I personally would in NO WAY recommend a ventless fireplace or heater. They produce gallons of water vapor under the best of cases and noxious fumes as well. They also produce CO which could lead to death as you well know. Yes they have an oxygen depletion sensor on them, but I wouldn't want to risk my life on a sensor that could easily fail. Great Information on it here

So, definetly go direct vent, they are safe and have proven the test of time.

#936775 - 04/10/18 08:09 AM Re: ventless vs direct vent [Re: tuffy]
BigJohnfromNY Offline
fanatic

Loc: Southwestern CT USA
Tuffy, if you really loved your wood burning fireplace (you didn't say either way) and are going to invest in a vented gas fireplace why not buy a wood burning insert and have a metal liner installed in the existing chimney?

#936849 - 04/12/18 02:13 AM Re: ventless vs direct vent [Re: BigJohnfromNY]
tuffy Offline

Loc: Kirksville,mo
Could i install this metal liner my self? and where would i get one ? thank you.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.