Handyman Wire

Who's Online
6 registered (twoshoes, bilvihur, 4 invisible), 147 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#936218 - 03/29/18 11:27 PM ABS on '97 Chevy S10
wirehead43 Offline

Loc: SC
Having a problem with the ABS on my '97 Chevy S10. The ABS light comes on when the vehicle is cold but then sometimes goes off once the vehicle warms up. Also, when driving there are times I hear the ABS firing when the brakes have not been pressed. If I happen to press the brakes while the ABS is firing, the brake pedal is very hard, I can feel pulsations in the pedal and it takes longer than normal to stop. Is there a way to troubleshoot and diagnose the cause of the problem? The shop where I normally have work done says ABS parts for a vehicle this old are nearly impossible to get and they have declined to work on it. However, I do see where some parts are available on-line. Is it more likely to be caused by a bad wheel sensor or the control module and how difficult are these to replace? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

#936344 - 04/01/18 08:32 AM Re: ABS on '97 Chevy S10 [Re: wirehead43]
Bob_Q Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Albany area,New York
This link is talking about ABS problems on a newer vehicle than yours, but it may give you some insight to your problem.
PicoAuto

In the article,it mentioned the system possibly sensing one wheel not rotating the same speed as the others,so it's possible you are onto something thinking that a wheel sensor is the problem,or something else wheel related. Don't take that as a suggestion to change one. Just something to think about.

#936376 - 04/02/18 08:45 AM Re: ABS on '97 Chevy S10 [Re: wirehead43]
JMac Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Cary, North Carolina
Have you taken it to a place like Autozone or Advance Auto to have the code read? That can really help narrow down the cause without spending any money.

On my 1999 F-150 my ABS light came on a few years ago. It was a $25 sensor in the differential. It took all of 15 minutes to swap out. The sensor had a gear on that the main gear on the Diff drove, they wear out over time and throw a code. Not saying this is your issue, but getting the code read will be the first step in determining the problem and whether you can DIY it or if you need a mechanic with more tools and experience.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.