Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 193 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 9 10 11
Topic Options
#935631 - 03/21/18 01:48 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: JasonB]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vanceboro, NC
Have hit a glitch. I was removing a bit of wood to allow clearance in the lock inlet for the forward part of the mainspring, the portion right at the bend. In the process of doing so, I have exposed a small part of the ramhole. I took the pic with a steel rod in the ramrod hole to show up the break through better. This opening is about 1-1/2" up from the end of the RR hole. Figured best stop and sort it out. Not sure what to make of it, nor how to proceed exactly. I have posted this on the American Longrifle "Gun Building" forum, and would also appreciate any opinions or insights ya'll may have.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/5w8DLxY.jpg?1[/img]

I have no idea why the pic does not show

Edited by Uncle_Alvah (03/21/18 01:51 PM)

#935634 - 03/21/18 02:30 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...

Well, it's hidden, so that's something...

I assume your cut went too deep? Or had you intended to go that deep (but hit the ramrod hole unexpectedly)?

Does the spring have adequate clearance now?

J

#935643 - 03/21/18 05:03 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: JasonB]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Or had you intended to go that deep (but hit the ramrod hole unexpectedly)?

I was working my way down bit by bit, using inletting black and it showed the front of the mainspring, where it bends, was touching wood. I was removing that black when the hole appeared.

Quote:
Does the spring have adequate clearance now?

Not sure yet. I will put inletting black on the spring,install the lock, and see if the black transfers to the rod.
Theres a whole lot of stuff going on in the relatively small area around the wrist.

#935649 - 03/21/18 06:23 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: JasonB]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
Isn't that the wrong place for the ramrod?? Does it go down that far?? How does the lock fit, or does it?? If it is too low, bed it in epoxy to level. That should take care of hole and the lock fit. I am assuming you understand epoxy bedding??

#935654 - 03/21/18 07:07 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Just_Bill]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Isn't that the wrong place for the ramrod?? Does it go down that far??

Thats the right place. The ramrod itself is almost the exact same length as the barrel itself, breech plug face to muzzle. That way, when shooting, the powder charge, projectile, take up enough bore space to allow for adequate rod protrusion(spare me the puns, huh?) for your hands when loading.

#935666 - 03/22/18 06:34 AM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
Got it.

#935672 - 03/22/18 09:09 AM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

Turns out its not an especially big deal. If the spring/rod clear, no sweat. If they are in significant contact, I can either remove a hair of thickness off the spring and/or take a bit of thickness off the rod.

#935676 - 03/22/18 10:16 AM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
That makes sense to me. It's a cosmetic fault in a cosmetically irrelevant location.

J

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 9 10 11

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.