Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (e_a_g_l_e_p_i, AnthraciteSparky), 236 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#932856 - 02/13/18 04:42 PM Have they been busted?
mommapup. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SW Michigan
High energy bills frustrate public, lawmakers.

Full disclosure. I almost dropped dead when our last bill came in about $100 higher then EVER

Quote:
Lauren Youngdahl Snyder, Vice President of Customer Experience for Consumers Energy, said there were two reasons for higher gas and electric bills customers are seeing.

One is that the company tried to schedule around the holidays so people didn't get a bill on them. But that extended the billing cycle, meaning people were billed for 35 days instead of the typical 30. The other reason is weather. She said in a typical December there would be 3 days where the weather is below 10 degrees. This year there were 8 days where that happened.

But those who testified didn't think those factors could have combined to explain the spikes they were seeing.

Doug and Louisa Westendorp are dairy farmers in Barry County, and the owners of MOO-ville Creamery. They have separate bills for different properties and were surprised to see the one for their cow barn spike. Their bills are typically a little over $2,000 for the barn, Louisa said, but spiked to $5,864 in January.

She called Consumers and they told her about the longer billing cycle and the colder temperatures. But the barn isn't heated, she said, because cows produce their own heat. But the company didn't explain how five extra days would double a bill that usually covers 30.

Everything will kill you, so choose something fun!

#932857 - 02/13/18 05:04 PM Re: Have they been busted? [Re: mommapup.]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
A rental property of mine in northern Minnesota, 100% electric,for the period 12/20/17 through 1/20/18, compared to the previous year, saw a 44% jump in $$$ spent, a 36.5% jump in actual kWh consumed, and a 5.4% increase in kWh rates. The occupancy of that unit was identical between both years. The significant difference? The average daily temperature was 2F as compared to 11F a year ago. Oh... And people say it was WINDY this year too!

Anyway you look at it, at least in this neck of the woods, it's been a COLD winter! (Confirmed by lake ice thickness of almost THREE FEET!)

#932859 - 02/13/18 05:41 PM Re: Have they been busted? [Re: CabinConnection]
rfm3 Offline
The Duke of Dremeland aka The Sagely One
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: To be determined
Being the OCD/anal retentive sort, I have kept track of our bills on a trust spreadsheet, with usuage, readings, etc and yes the cost of electric per KWH and gas per BTU or whatever mystical term they use

Electric has been consistant more or less over the past few years, averaging between 0.04-0.05

gas has perhaps gone up a bit

2016 ran from .28 to .35 but 2017 went .25 to .38

seems they charge more in winter

we use the variable elec rate and have done so for many years...

How can one judge one winter to the other with temps and conditions being different?

#932862 - 02/13/18 06:28 PM Re: Have they been busted? [Re: mommapup.]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
Many newspapers publish 'degree days' with the daily weather. That will tell you exactly what your heating requirement s were...more or less. If the number of degree days was high for a given period, so will the fuel bills, given all the same thermostat settings. ??????

Its COLD!!!!!

#932867 - 02/13/18 06:54 PM Re: Have they been busted? [Re: rfm3]
Bob_Q Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Albany area,New York
Originally Posted By rfm3
Being the OCD/anal retentive sort, I have kept track of our bills on a trust spreadsheet, with usuage, readings, etc and yes the cost of electric per KWH and gas per BTU or whatever mystical term they use

I think if I go to my account page on the National Grid website,all the info you mentioned is there, from month to month and previous years. I used it several times to compare my usage from one year to the other.

#932868 - 02/13/18 08:06 PM Re: Have they been busted? [Re: Bob_Q]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vanceboro, NC
My monthly budget amount will be re-figured soon. Not looking forward to that. Presently $128 a month for lights and heat or AC. That will likely be history.
\

#932874 - 02/13/18 11:39 PM Re: Have they been busted? [Re: mommapup.]
jdevlin Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Welland Ont. Canada
Based on the extra 5 days for December there should be 5 days less for January. See if the bills go down for January with 5 less days, and if not what explanation they have.

#932909 - 02/14/18 12:09 PM Re: Have they been busted? [Re: CabinConnection]
mommapup. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

All valid and understandable reasons.

BUTT!

How does that explain a $3600 increase (from $2000 to $5600) for an unheated barn?

#932910 - 02/14/18 12:39 PM Re: Have they been busted? [Re: mommapup.]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Originally Posted By mommapup.
How does that explain a $3600 increase (from $2000 to $5600) for an unheated barn?

No idea.

#932913 - 02/14/18 01:09 PM Re: Have they been busted? [Re: CabinConnection]
mommapup. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

grin wink crazy

Me either...

Nor does it explain my huge increase. I've been here over 30 years, and have never seen a bill that high. NEVER

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Chris, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.