Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (e_a_g_l_e_p_i, AnthraciteSparky), 236 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#932732 - 02/11/18 02:22 PM Halogen Light Repair
KingKontron Offline

Loc: San Diego, USA
Hi All

I have one of these in my condo installed in the ceiling and drywalled in.

https://www.amazon.com/Dasal-Lighting-2-020-F-RiteLight-Recessed/dp/B016V4GYGM

I have intermittent problems with it, seems like related to the socket which is at the end of the jacketed cable. I can toggle it to get the bulb to work but then when I put the bulb back into the assembly it either won't work or will work for a while and then stop again, until I pull it and toggle it around.

The cable assembly itself does not seem replaceable without removal of the unit (want to avoid). But it looks like I can buy a replacement socket/receptacle.....If I but a new receptacle, it is OK to just cut the old one off the jacketed cable, strip the wires, and wire-nut the new one on to the existing wires?

Thanks!

Jeff

#932766 - 02/12/18 12:10 AM Re: Halogen Light Repair [Re: KingKontron]
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jayhawk Land
I've replaced two of those sockets by clipping the jacketed wire near the old receptacle and splicing a new porcelain socket on.

I think the heat from the old style MR 16 bulbs gets to the sockets. I've switched to LED versions for their lower heat signature.

Bob.

#932774 - 02/12/18 12:15 PM Re: Halogen Light Repair [Re: KingKontron]
KingKontron Offline

Loc: San Diego, USA
Thank you as always Bob. Most of the replacement sockets I see are ones that come with 10” wires (usually jacketed in Mica). How do the receptacles marry up with the wires? Is it soldered? …i.e. what is involved in your splicing operation? Thank you! -Jeff

#932809 - 02/12/18 11:58 PM Re: Halogen Light Repair [Re: KingKontron]
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jayhawk Land
The wires I had were relatively small gauge, so I just used a wire nut of appropriate size and made sure they were snug. No problems.

Bob.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.