Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (twoshoes, Clint_Robbins, 1 invisible), 211 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#930240 - 01/07/18 10:23 PM Weed eater bogs down
Foreverwood Offline

Loc: Florida,USA
I'm repairing my buddy's weed eater that bogs down. It won't hold idle sometimes either. I took it apart cleaned it thoroughly and put it back together. I pressure checked it, it pops off at 10 and stabilizes at 8 but after a while slowly starts to leak down. I squeezed the fuel lines and it then held pressure. I changed the lines, put it back together and it's doing the same. It'll rev high when adjusted, but eventually loses prime. You can hear the change. I never did check the idle circuit for flow after taking it apart maybe that'll be next. I'll then check the main. I'm sure it's time for a new carb kit although the diaphragm and gaskets didn't look too bad. So I know of course that I have a fuel issue, but don't know if it's just a leak or fuel starvation. My guess is a leak since it sometimes revs high then slowly loses power, but I'd be stunned if the fuel lines are causing it because they aren't very loose anymore, actually snug. Any ideas?

Edited by Foreverwood (01/07/18 10:40 PM)

#930308 - 01/08/18 04:50 PM Re: Weed eater bogs down [Re: Foreverwood]
FredDwyer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Connecticut, USA
If everything else checks out, don't forget a 2 cycle's crankcase must be sealed well. Leaking crankshaft seals will make it run poorly.

I was always taught to honor my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.

Fred

#930361 - 01/09/18 09:48 AM Re: Weed eater bogs down [Re: FredDwyer]
Foreverwood Offline

It's so funny you say that because I said I would try that today. I once was fixing a weed eater for another friend and was beating my head because it just wouldn't start not a sound. 3 for days and I then said OMG i saw space in the crankcase. Gotta remember the ABC's. Thanks

#930505 - 01/11/18 02:29 PM Re: Weed eater bogs down [Re: FredDwyer]
Foreverwood Offline

Update: I tested the weed eater and no leaks are in the crankcase. I did however take the carb back off to double check some things. This time when checking for pressure at the needle and seat it wouldn't hold any pressure. Of course I was stunned. I forgot to say when I ran it the last time I found a little gas sputtering out of the carb. I thought to myself is it because it sounds so starved for fuel and I opened it up to compensate? Is it fuel starved or actually flooding? So back to the pressure test it didn't hold pressure this time which supports the gas shooting out. I opened it back up and the needle was stuck open. I worked it free and at one point it stuck in the down position. Eventually it freed up and was freely moving. So it appears the change in power probable came from a sticky needle. I pressure check it afterwards and it held pressure again. I just ordered the kit.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.