Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (geraldreds, BigJohnfromNY, code_ceis, 1 invisible), 230 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#927673 - 11/29/17 08:14 AM Well my monitor sleep problem
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: So. Florida
has become permanent. I have two computers connected to one monitor, keyboard and mouse with two "A-B" switches, one for the monitor and one for the keyboard and mouse.

Problem has been the Dell would not have a display on the boot up, it would come on in sleep mode. I figured it would probably get worse and it did. It used to take me 3-6 boots to get a display on the monitor, now I can't get a display. When I did have a display I set all the sleep options to "never", that had no effect. I found somewhere that a USB power save option may have been the problem and set that to never. That seemed to fix it but a few days ago the problem returned.

I read somewhere that the BIOS should be set to factory default settings but since I have no video I have no means of accessing the BIOS.

If I switch to the other computer now it will say (with a black screen) "entering power save mode" and there's no way to wake it. It has nothing to do with the A-B switches since it works the same way wired direct. I'd like to get pictures and some other data from this computer and then deep-six it.

#927678 - 11/29/17 08:36 AM Re: Well my monitor sleep problem [Re: Able_Dog]
code_ceis Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: muttonville,ny
Long shot it may be the little $.50 cell battery.

Some times old computers need that to fire.

Just a WAG.

Most are a 2032 cell.

Looks like this.

"Live today. Forget yesterday. Don't worry about tomorrow. Don't plan ahead. There are exceptions... Life will change." Ed Wood.

#928141 - 12/05/17 04:12 PM Re: Well my monitor sleep problem [Re: code_ceis]
rfm3 Offline
The Duke of Dremeland
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Guarding the West NY Border fr...
Just saw this topic, hence my late reply, but sounds might be similar to my situation I had in this post

Battery or not does not fix..new monitor does not fix..

some searches say video card or mother board or something which at this point I wont invest on an old computer that has XP on it...

but still makes me wonder why all of a sudden..

same thing boots up, comes on and then goes to sleep and cannot wake it other that powering off via unplug it.
We didn't start the fire
No, we didn't light it, but we tried to fight it

#928184 - 12/06/17 08:24 AM Re: Well my monitor sleep problem [Re: rfm3]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: So. Florida
I'll probably give the battery a try, I think I have some around. Not a high priority item. Just want to get pictures and some other data then toss it.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.