Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (geraldreds, BigJohnfromNY, code_ceis, 1 invisible), 230 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#927909 - 12/01/17 05:55 PM Can PEX be direct buried
New_Climber Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Kalama, Washington
This is related to my post in electrical for running power to my shop...

Being I will have an open trench for electrical to my shop, I also want to run a water line to the shop. Is it OK to run PEX direct buried in the ground?? I was going to run a 3/4" line, and put a heater at the shop if I wanted hot water.

Good idea? I have a crimping tool from other projects. Should I sleeve it with PVC? I was thinking sleeve it with some electrical PVC so I can have a nice 90 deg turn and continuous protection.

#928169 - 12/05/17 08:57 PM Re: Can PEX be direct buried [Re: New_Climber]
Chas311 Offline
Handyman

Loc: NE Illinois&West Central Minne...
Others will jump in, but the manufacturer would be a better source of information, whether that be PEX or another producer. Seems to me PEX would not be rigid enough to be buried without protection as as you are thinking.

Edited by Chas311 (12/05/17 09:04 PM)

#928178 - 12/06/17 04:12 AM Re: Can PEX be direct buried [Re: New_Climber]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
"Is it OK to run PEX direct buried in the ground??"

Yes. But even though it is more tolerant, it will still burst if water is allowed to freeze in it.

Best to lay it in a bed of sand. Sleeve is not necessary. Don't kink it! Keep the buried section as continuous as possible, with as few connections as you can.

About 18 years ago, I ran a water line from my house hose bib out to my garage. As it's downhill all the way, I put a "T" in it and ran a leg to a ditch. In the fall I simply turn off the bib and open the 1/4 turn valve at the low end leg, open the faucet at the garage sink, and let it drain.

#928278 - 12/07/17 08:01 PM Re: Can PEX be direct buried [Re: CabinConnection]
New_Climber Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Kalama, Washington
Thanks,

I would want to leave this on all the time. My trench needs to be at 24" as that is what I am doing for the electrical. My front line is 12" here, so i am not to concerned with freezing, but was more concerned with damage, which has been addressed.

As an alternative, can I just sch80 White PVC for potable water? I think the answer is, yes, but want to confirm.

#928312 - 12/08/17 10:35 AM Re: Can PEX be direct buried [Re: New_Climber]
vid Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Mad City
Originally Posted By New_Climber
As an alternative, can I just sch80 White PVC for potable water? I think the answer is, yes, but want to confirm.

Cold water only but I wouldn't recommend it for what you're doing. Too much of a possibility that something could go wrong.

#928315 - 12/08/17 10:50 AM Re: Can PEX be direct buried [Re: vid]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Originally Posted By vid
Originally Posted By New_Climber

Cold water only but I wouldn't recommend it for what you're doing. Too much of a possibility that something could go wrong.

Agree. The flexibility of the PEX is what is needed, especially in the OP's rocky ground.

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.