Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (BigJohnfromNY, code_ceis), 212 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#927903 - 12/01/17 04:45 PM Shop Subpanel
New_Climber Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Kalama, Washington
I am having power run to a detached shop. I had 2 electrician’s come out to give me quotes but both had different requirements for permits. There currently is no other power, one told me I needed to have an outside light, 1 outlet, inside light (inside man door) and a 3-way light for the stairs.

The other electrician says being it is an outbuilding, these don't have any requirements?

Not sure which to believe, without calling the state inspector. Any clarification would be great.

#927918 - 12/01/17 07:11 PM Re: Shop Subpanel [Re: New_Climber]
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Somewhere under the sun
The following link is an older 2002 NEC requirements for wiring to a detached garage or outbuilding. Read the paragraph titled :Minimum Wiring Required.

#927922 - 12/01/17 07:56 PM Re: Shop Subpanel [Re: dora]
New_Climber Offline
Super Handyman

Thx Dora,

How do I interpret this meaning: "attempting to wire a garage that is detached as an accessory building to a dwelling"

What if I am not attempting to wire the garage as an accessory building to the dwelling...but more as a barn/shop etc?

Any opinions?

#927939 - 12/01/17 11:40 PM Re: Shop Subpanel [Re: New_Climber]
jdevlin Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Welland Ont. Canada
A barn or shop is an accessory building if it is fed from a panel in another building.
If it has its own meter then it is not an accessory building but the main service.

#927942 - 12/02/17 07:32 AM Re: Shop Subpanel [Re: New_Climber]
AnthraciteSparky Offline
Handyman

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By New_Climber
I am having power run to a detached shop. I had 2 electrician’s come out to give me quotes but both had different requirements for permits. There currently is no other power, one told me I needed to have an outside light, 1 outlet, inside light (inside man door) and a 3-way light for the stairs.

The other electrician says being it is an outbuilding, these don't have any requirements?

Not sure which to believe, without calling the state inspector. Any clarification would be great.

In these parts the "other electrician" who is talking about outbuildings would be incorrect. In these parts inspectors care not about stipulations like that, but it may differ. I would go with the more competent electrician.

#927960 - 12/02/17 10:12 AM Re: Shop Subpanel [Re: New_Climber]
code_ceis Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: muttonville,ny
Not enough info for an answer.

Is this on a residential lot?

IE an out building to a single family home?

Then yes lights in and out and one Tamper resident receptacle GFCI protected would be required.

If this is on an other than residential site.

Then you do what you want.

"Live today. Forget yesterday. Don't worry about tomorrow. Don't plan ahead. There are exceptions... Life will change." Ed Wood.

#928279 - 12/07/17 08:04 PM Re: Shop Subpanel [Re: code_ceis]
New_Climber Offline
Super Handyman

Thanks for the replies,

Yes, I agree, the one electrician seemed really shady. I am going to go with the second as they seem to be up front with everything and have quoted everything separately.

Now the only other question for me...do I want to do the work myself.

#928292 - 12/08/17 07:30 AM Re: Shop Subpanel [Re: New_Climber]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
In my state, the live in homeowner is allowed to do their own work, but permits must still be pulled and completed. And the inspectors are bit more critical, but usually helpful.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.