Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (geraldreds, BigJohnfromNY, code_ceis, 1 invisible), 230 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#927261 - 11/19/17 06:28 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
.36 muzzle load could do in a squirrel nicely, and leave some meat.

Patience friend, patience, don't mess it up now, you are so close.

#928299 - 12/08/17 08:25 AM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Just_Bill]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vanceboro, NC
Started on the lockplate yesterday. I'm stepping pretty easy, if you notice the curve on the front of the lock plate is only scribed still, no cut. I have my sources that I want to consult as to how best to get a smooth, even edge there, and those sources include here.
I need to slowly chisel the lockplate down into the stock until the edge of the pan to directly and squarely against the barrel at the touch hole.

#928301 - 12/08/17 08:46 AM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

First time I been in my shop in better than a month. It's only about 100 feet and I had to drive it but I got there and back! Me happy-happy!

#928306 - 12/08/17 09:24 AM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
mommapup. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SW Michigan
Great to see you back in the shop... Can't wait to see old smokey fire off. wink

Everything will kill you, so choose something fun!

#928322 - 12/08/17 12:35 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
Looking nice.

My step-father's been working on a mountain rifle of his own. Here, he is roughing the inlet for a side plate he's made from an old cheap wrench...

Drilling like this seems to be the norm for inletting.

Near finished results - He's a might more talented in the gunsmithing arts than most of us ever will be. This was a Kibler kit, IIRC.

J

#928327 - 12/08/17 01:14 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: JasonB]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

Outstanding! That tang is especially impressive, that had to be tough.

#928468 - Yesterday at 09:46 AM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

Eked out the front radius, and rear point. The radius had me especially cautious. Still some clean-up on the edge, especially the lower one. I wuz gettin tired so I quit. Following given advice, I used an exacto knife to make the edge cut. Spent a lot of time getting that cut in, worked in real short strokes rather than try to "travel around" the edge in single repetitive motions. They I cut from the mortise out to the knife line.
May not be the best it can be, but its the best I can do.

Edited by Uncle_Alvah (Yesterday at 10:03 AM)

#928524 - Today at 10:32 AM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Bit by bit.... Getting closer!

#928528 - Today at 11:18 AM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: JasonB]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

I'm going to pause on the rifle until I get this sharp chisel business figured out. I ordered one of the glass-plate "Scary Sharp" set ups to try.
One difficulty is that I sharpen the chisels, but I have no way to judge just how sharp they are. The ash is not the best "proving ground" it would seem. Tough with even the sharpest tools, as I'm told.

#928530 - Today at 11:45 AM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Get a piece of very soft wood (white pine, for instance) and attempt to shave cross-grain off the end. Only a very sharp chisel will do this without crushing/distorting the grain.

Or, see if it'll shave hair off your arm, as a sharp knife will.

J

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.