Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (bilvihur, 1 invisible), 181 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#926725 - 11/11/17 01:05 PM Frigidaire knocking noise making ice
hipsterdoofus Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Hey all - you may remember me from this thread - my ice maker quit. I ended up replacing it and it now works fine...however, since that time, we've noticed when the ice maker is making ice, it makes a knocking noise that seems to be getting loud. Again, ice is making just great, but I'm concerned there may be something else going on.

Any recommendations?

#926739 - 11/11/17 05:22 PM Re: Frigidaire knocking noise making ice [Re: hipsterdoofus]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: muttonville,ny
Originally Posted By hipsterdoofus
Hey all - you may remember me from this thread - my ice maker quit. I ended up replacing it and it now works fine...however, since that time, we've noticed when the ice maker is making ice, it makes a knocking noise that seems to be getting loud. Again, ice is making just great, but I'm concerned there may be something else going on.

Any recommendations?

That is the heater warming up the ice to dump it.

Normal and fine.

If you sleep in the kitchen or close to the fridge it is a little loud at 2 AM.

Ours makes ice all day as wife eats ice all the time.

A side effect of her medicine is dry mouth.

Edited by code_ceis (11/11/17 05:24 PM)

"Live today. Forget yesterday. Don't worry about tomorrow. Don't plan ahead. There are exceptions... Life will change." Ed Wood.

#926741 - 11/11/17 05:36 PM Re: Frigidaire knocking noise making ice [Re: code_ceis]
hipsterdoofus Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By code_ceis

That is the heater warming up the ice to dump it.

Normal and fine.

If you sleep in the kitchen or close to the fridge it is a little loud at 2 AM.

Ours makes ice all day as wife eats ice all the time.

A side effect of her medicine is dry mouth.

Odd - it didn't do this (or at least that I recall) before replacing the ice maker. It is MUCH louder now. Do you think it is a result of changing the ice maker it made it worse. I'll have to try to capture a recording sometime.

#926750 - 11/11/17 10:05 PM Re: Frigidaire knocking noise making ice [Re: hipsterdoofus]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
Hi,

Might be normal...but if you have never heard it before, then probably is not normal.
Could be a bad ice maker.
Could be the cubes are larger and the ice maker is over filling so it may be having trouble getting the cubes out of the mold.

jeff.

#926814 - 11/12/17 01:38 PM Re: Frigidaire knocking noise making ice [Re: jeff1]
hipsterdoofus Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By jeff1
Hi,

Might be normal...but if you have never heard it before, then probably is not normal.
Could be a bad ice maker.
Could be the cubes are larger and the ice maker is over filling so it may be having trouble getting the cubes out of the mold.

jeff.

There is an adjustment for cube size isn't there? I need to try to look at it next time it is doing it to see if I can tell what is going on. Unfortunately last time I heard it was like 2 am frown

#926851 - 11/12/17 09:04 PM Re: Frigidaire knocking noise making ice [Re: hipsterdoofus]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
Not all have one, most do...
http://www.applianceaid.com/ice-fill-adjustment.php

jeff.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.