Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (bilvihur, 1 invisible), 181 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#926338 - 11/06/17 08:07 AM Recalibrating Hayward / Goldline salt levels
Suenmark98 Offline
fanatic

Loc: Houston TX
I have a 2013 Blue Haven salt water pool - around 16,000 gallon plaster in-ground pool. Ever since Harvey hit here in late August, the salt level readout has been running 5-600 ppm low vs what Leslies has been measuring on both of their devices. Chlorine Generator has just shut off due to the artificially low reading. Salt Cell is clean & clear. System Controller is a SmartControl Automation, PL-P-4-X288

I tried going into Diagnostic and saving the Instant Salt level, but it shows Chlorinator Off instead of a salt level - so I cannot save the instant level

Any ideas? I'm thinking of hitting it with 80# of salt and then seeing if I can save the instant reading.

I did buy a replacement salt cell recently to have on hand when the original cell dies.

BTW - I've read some guidance about turning it off, then super chlor, etc. My Blue Haven panel does not have those switches

Edited by Suenmark98 (11/06/17 09:16 AM)

Every day is good, and some are even BETTER !!!!

#926368 - 11/06/17 12:09 PM Re: Recalibrating Hayward / Goldline salt levels [Re: Suenmark98]
Suenmark98 Offline
fanatic

Loc: Houston TX
Update -
Put the new salt cell in - registered 3300 ppm salt and ran fine. Put old unit back in, registered 1600 ppm salt and shutdown due to low salt.
Took water sample to Leslies - they tested 3100 ppm and zero chlorine level, suggested my almost 5 yr old salt cell was likely dead.

Given it's sunny and the pool is still 79 degrees, I popped in the new unit and started a superchlorination cycle to try to avoid a green pool!

It's interesting - the original unit used to run 8-9 hrs/day at 85% and chlorine level was about 0.4. Lately, I'd run same length at 100% and level was 0.2. Also, first few years, it would lime up and need to be cleaned. Last 2 years, it never limed up - I guess it was cracking less and less NaCl to produce Chlorine. Guess it was slowly fading away?

Glad I pre-emptively ordered a replacement cell this summer - only paid $280 delivered.

Any recommendations beyond what I've done?

Every day is good, and some are even BETTER !!!!

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.