Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (code_ceis, BigJohnfromNY), 196 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
New Reply
Topic Options
#924833 - 10/11/17 11:40 PM Re: Vinyl Shutter Paints [Re: Smokyie]
Smokyie Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Mn
You are most likely correct about that!

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#924846 - 10/12/17 09:06 AM Re: Vinyl Shutter Paints [Re: Smokyie]
JMac Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Cary, North Carolina
The new ones are pre-primed and you can top coat them with latex house paint.

Painters around here clean them and apply a new top coat of latex exterior paint. Usually with an airless sprayer, but the texture makes them pretty easy to brush paint as well.

#924903 - 10/12/17 03:32 PM Re: Vinyl Shutter Paints [Re: JMac]
Smokyie Offline
enthusiast

You are referring to wooden shutters?
I think the plastic screws holding these up will break off, a few have all ready. So how do I go about putting new ones in?

I'm not going to try painting them while they are still attached to the house.

Thank you.

#924921 - 10/12/17 05:13 PM Re: Vinyl Shutter Paints [Re: Smokyie]
JMac Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Cary, North Carolina
No I'm referring to vinyl shutters available at the home center.

#924949 - 10/12/17 07:53 PM Re: Vinyl Shutter Paints [Re: JMac]
Smokyie Offline
enthusiast

Thanks.

#925147 - 10/16/17 12:07 PM Re: Vinyl Shutter Paints [Re: Smokyie]
kerk Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: N. Florida
Paint 'made for plastic' is, IMO, a marketing ploy.....they have NO special ingredient. Acrylic latex has been used on plastic for years. After all, latex paint is basically 'plastic'. And todays acrylics will stick to anything if prepped correctly.

'Exterior Gloss or Semi-Gloss House and Trim Paint'. ..... Ain't rocket science.

#925162 - 10/16/17 06:04 PM Re: Vinyl Shutter Paints [Re: kerk]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Originally Posted By kerk
Paint 'made for plastic' is, IMO, a marketing ploy.....they have NO special ingredient. Acrylic latex has been used on plastic for years. After all, latex paint is basically 'plastic'. And todays acrylics will stick to anything if prepped correctly.

'Exterior Gloss or Semi-Gloss House and Trim Paint'. ..... Ain't rocket science.

OK then... Tell me why when I install a new exterior door (usually a BayerBuilt), and if I don't first prime the plastic window dividers, the paint WILL peel.

After I dicked around trying to make it work, including every trick I knew, I went back to my supplier who schooled me.

Said I needed to first use a primer for plastic, like this.

Since then, all OK.

#925203 - 10/17/17 12:18 AM Re: Vinyl Shutter Paints [Re: CabinConnection]
kerk Offline
Super Handyman

Originally Posted By CabinConnection
Originally Posted By kerk

OK then... Tell me why when I install a new exterior door (usually a BayerBuilt), and if I don't first prime the plastic window dividers, the paint WILL peel.

After I dicked around trying to make it work, including every trick I knew, I went back to my supplier who schooled me.

Said I needed to first use a primer for plastic, like this.

Since then, all OK.

Never painted new window dividers before, but I assume they are a hard plastic. And being new, I believe they are about as non porous as plastic can get. I would fine sand, or steel wool them first, wipe down with lacquer thinner, then paint with a semi or a gloss latex, and not expect it to adhere well for at least a week. 'Dry time' and 'cure time' for acrylics are two different animals.

If I had to use the primer you used, I wouldn't waste the step, I would just use an alkyd spray paint instead, which is what that primer is, according to the data sheet.

Alkyd adheres to anything better, hands down. So to me, using an alkyd primer to be able to topcoat with latex, is a waste of time. If necessary, I would just paint it with regular spray paint and be done with it. One ap, maybe two, but only ONE product.

Bottom line, from the data sheet, that 'primer' has no different ingredients than regular spray paint: titanium to make it cover, alkyd to make it stick, acetone to make it spray-able and to dry fast.

As I said, IMO 90% of so called 'primers' are meant to prime their cash register with your money.

I still have some sample cans of a 'direct to metal' latex paint that we sold 25 years ago (actually used some on some drip cap a couple years back). All it required was a wipe down with lacquer thinner on aluminum or galvanized, so I would think the coating technology has advanced since then to make acrylic resin stick to plastic.

Never had a problem, but like I said, I never painted window dividers. But now you have me curious. I just installed a pre hung for a lady that has a window with dividers. I have to do some more work for her, so I'm going to see if she'll let me experiment.

#925208 - 10/17/17 09:18 AM Re: Vinyl Shutter Paints [Re: kerk]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Quote:
I assume they are a hard plastic. And being new, I believe they are about as non porous as plastic can get. I would fine sand, or steel wool them first, wipe down with lacquer thinner, then paint with a semi or a gloss latex, and not expect it to adhere well for at least a week. 'Dry time' and 'cure time' for acrylics are two different animals.

Thanks Kerk.

I've tried roughing them up and also cleaning with mineral spirits.

Nothing more to add from my end at this point, but I look forward to your test... Maybe I'm missing something... smile

#925246 - 10/17/17 08:27 PM Re: Vinyl Shutter Paints [Re: CabinConnection]
kerk Offline
Super Handyman

Originally Posted By CabinConnection
Quote:
I assume they are a hard plastic. And being new, I believe they are about as non porous as plastic can get. I would fine sand, or steel wool them first, wipe down with lacquer thinner, then paint with a semi or a gloss latex, and not expect it to adhere well for at least a week. 'Dry time' and 'cure time' for acrylics are two different animals.

Thanks Kerk.

I've tried roughing them up and also cleaning with mineral spirits.

Nothing more to add from my end at this point, but I look forward to your test... Maybe I'm missing something... smile

Haven't got a chance with the window dividers, but I thought today that they may be similar to the density and hardness of schedule 40 PVC. I had a 3" coupler in the garage, so I steel wooled an area and put some Olympic Assure Exterior S/G on it. I'll let it set a week to see if it gets tooth, and again after a month. I expect I will be able to scrape it off with my thumbnail, but if it will 'lift and peel' in a sheet, I will consider myself corrected.

Just now thought that I am also going to do the same on the opposite side with a spray enamel. I expect that will bond tighter.

As a side note, one of my side projects is to peel all of the latex paint off of a new metal door that was given to me. The owner had it installed and painted, and the installer did kind of a nasty paint job, and said that was the best he could do.

The owner paid me to replace the door and paint it, and said to get rid of the old one. I purchased a new prehung like the other and just replaced the door slab. Now I have a new pre hung door and jamb.....I just have to peel off the Hunter Green latex. It is peeling, but not easily. When I get serious, I will put it on sawhorses and let it soak under some wet towels, that will help break it loose.

It will be interesting to see whether the time it takes will make the free pre-hung worth it.

I did charge him to dispose of it....just didn't tell him I disposed of it in my garage.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is disabled

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.