Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (kerk, 2 invisible), 215 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#924728 - 10/10/17 04:03 PM Echo GT-200
boyes37 Offline
Handyman

Loc: Canada
Have an Echo GT-200 weed eater and having trouble starting it once it gets going it runs an operates very well just hard to start....replaced the plug ....non ethinol gas high test..... clean air filter...good spark....any suggestions?

#924734 - 10/10/17 05:08 PM Re: Echo GT-200 [Re: boyes37]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Is the primer bulb working?

#924748 - 10/10/17 06:26 PM Re: Echo GT-200 [Re: boyes37]
boyes37 Offline
Handyman

Yes the primer bulb is working and after trying to start and I take the plug out is is wet almost as it might be flooding but there is not even a hint of it starting

#924765 - 10/11/17 06:23 AM Re: Echo GT-200 [Re: boyes37]
FredDwyer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Why "high test?" Lower octane fuel fires more easily.

I was always taught to honor my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.

Fred

#924776 - 10/11/17 09:09 AM Re: Echo GT-200 [Re: boyes37]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
Probably because in most areas, high octane (supreme) fuel is ethanol free.

J

#924778 - 10/11/17 09:20 AM Re: Echo GT-200 [Re: boyes37]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Originally Posted By boyes37
Yes the primer bulb is working and after trying to start and I take the plug out is is wet almost as it might be flooding but there is not even a hint of it starting

My experience is Echo products are generally easy to start. Has this one ALWAYS been difficult, or is this a recent thing?

How many times are you pumping the primer?

Is there a choke and is it closing?

As you suggest, if the plug is wet, too much fuel is getting to the cylinder...

#924812 - 10/11/17 04:45 PM Re: Echo GT-200 [Re: JasonB]
FredDwyer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted By JasonB
Probably because in most areas, high octane (supreme) fuel is ethanol free.

J

I can't speak to "most areas," but in the 5 new England states and New York and new Jersey, it is not true that high octane fuel is ethanol free. It is true that ethanol free gasoline is usually 91 octane or better, but it is not available in most gas stations in these states.

I was always taught to honor my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.

Fred

#924827 - 10/11/17 07:28 PM Re: Echo GT-200 [Re: boyes37]
Bob_Q Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Albany area,New York
We use Echo trimmers,exclusively,at the course. They are as reliable as any,but can still have their problems like at other small carbureted engine,like debris getting from the tank to carb,even though you think you've been careful so it doesn't happen.
One thing I came across just recently;I thought I had a bad carb,after repeatedly taking it apart. I ordered a new one,and while installing it,noticed it was moving slightly after tightening the retaining bolts. There is a plastic spacer between it and the head,which is bolted separately to the head,and the carb is bolted to that. This plastic spacer has never been removed,but the front threaded area was broken off from the head,so that copious amounts of air was entering the engine,preventing it from starting.
The trimmer is a commercial type,approximately $400+ worth. I have spent almost $100 on a carb,and a new head is $150 or so. Not sure how much further to go on this one. Waiting for my local dealer to come up with a used one for me. It's fall. I have lots of time. smirk
Even if I do nothing,the carb won't go to waste. We have a few other machines like this one.
Anyway,told you that story,because it may be something for you to check on your machine.

#924979 - 10/13/17 02:02 PM Re: Echo GT-200 [Re: boyes37]
boyes37 Offline
Handyman

High octaine less ethinol because the ethinol destroys the cheap rubber hoses used and they break down causing small amounts of debre to get into the carb

Has it been difficult to start NO...it started the last time I used it about 10 days ago and it started fine as it has in the past

push the primer bulb 3 to 4 times

Is the choke closing ...well since the plug is getting wet I would assume from that ...that it is closing

I will check this plastic spacer as Bob has suggested and see if that might be the problem

Thanks for all your inputs

#925034 - 10/14/17 12:52 PM Re: Echo GT-200 [Re: boyes37]
boyes37 Offline
Handyman

Well I separated the carb from the engine and the plastic spacer appeared ok so I cleaned it and reassembled it making sure it was fastened securely and it started on the first pull leaving me to conclude that maybe the carb had come sightly loose allowing some air to penetrate ....anyhow it seems to be starting as it always has up until the other day....thanks for your input I appreciate it all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.