Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (kerk, 2 invisible), 215 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#924706 - 10/10/17 11:21 AM Damaged water hose connection on washing machine
christopher45103 Offline

I’m hooking up an old washing machine for my father-in-law. The previous owner had cross-threaded the hot water hose onto the machine, damaging the plastic threaded nipple. I’m using new hoses and trying my best to thread the hot water hose on straight to the original threads, though it is tough if not impossible. I can’t get it to stop leaking.

The leak is where the hose connects to its female collar. I think the damaged fitting on the machine is not allowing me to screw the hose on far enough to compress the hose washer, letting water past it to leak out that swivel connection. Maybe a second hose washer would fill the gap in the connection, but then it is only held on by a few damaged threads, which is risky. Looking for any suggestions. It is safe to say that it is not worth replacing the water inlet connection on this old washing machine.

He got the washing machine for free and can wash clothes on cold water as-is. Good enough for an old bachelor. Just the same he’s a nice man and I’d like to get it fully operational if possible. Worst case, he and I can probably track down another free washing machine on craigslist.

#924708 - 10/10/17 12:02 PM Re: Damaged water hose connection on washing machine [Re: christopher45103]
bilvihur Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Hudson Valley, New York
Assuming it's a 3/4" nipple (probably coarse thread), you might try getting a 3/4" nut and carefully thread it onto the nipple to chase the old threads. Then use plenty of teflon tape on the nipple before tightening the hose connection.

Another possibility is just replacing the mixer valve HERE.

#924709 - 10/10/17 12:07 PM Re: Damaged water hose connection on washing machine [Re: christopher45103]
Clint_Robbins Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Akron, OH
You MIGHT be able to repair the threads with a small triangular file well enough to adequately tighten it. Although the hose threads are similar to 3/4" pipe threads, they are different enough that you can't chase the threads with a 3/4" pipe die and, if you could find a hose die, it might not be economical.

I found a Superior Tool 05265 Mr. Thread Cleaner for $20.74 on Amazon, but you might be able to find one cheaper.

#924710 - 10/10/17 12:30 PM Re: Damaged water hose connection on washing machine [Re: christopher45103]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
As mentioned, 3/4" garden hose end threads are essentially unique to this application. A coarse thread 3/4" nut isn't the same and will just make it worse.

Try what Clint suggested - a slim taper file and see if you can clean up the male thread enough to get the hose to start. It just needs to run up 2-3 threads (in the proper place), and it'll cut itself the rest of the way.

If that didn't work, I'd get something with a nice sturdy brass/pot metal female hose connection (NOT plastic), and VERY CAREFULLY, use that as a die. Something similar to one of the ones I show below, but with the washer removed during this step.

Make sure you're holding it nice and SQUARE to the male, and gently start/stop/back-up/restart in order to re-cut the thread.

Then when you're all done, install a NEW washer. If it continues to weep a bit, wrap the male thread with a few rounds of Teflon tape and tighten snugly with a wrench.

Also, use a hose with a METAL female end. The plastic ones deform too easily, and when tightened often crack (and leak).

You should be able to salvage even the most buggered up connection.

Edited add - I like the Superior die Clint suggested. While it'd rarely be used, the really nice part about it is it's tapered (like a die) and should make centering on the buggered male a bunch easier. But again, with a little finesse and going slow, one of the other options should be fine...

#924731 - 10/10/17 04:37 PM Re: Damaged water hose connection on washing machine [Re: christopher45103]
christopher45103 Offline

These are all really great suggestions. I will probably try the small file and Teflon tape solution first, as it requires buying nothing I don't already have.

FYI the new hoses I am using have metal ends. Also, this washing machine was obtained for free from an abandoned house. I could replace the mixing valve, but it would not be worth the trouble or expense of buying/installing the new part. We are working on a limited budget here.

For those interested in an update, I probably won't get a chance to get back on this until the weekend.

Edited by christopher45103 (10/10/17 04:38 PM)

#925116 - 10/16/17 05:18 AM Re: Damaged water hose connection on washing machine [Re: christopher45103]
christopher45103 Offline

Here is the update:

I suggested that my father-in-law run a test of the machine with cold water only. A good source told us that it worked but I thought it best to give it a run before I spend any more time on that hose connection.

The machine filled with water and then nothing more. He could not get it to run on any cycle or even pump out. Bad timer, motor, lid safety switch, who knows, but we just didn't feel like messing with it any more.

Over the weekend I went over to his place, siphoned out the machine with a hose, then we loaded it in my truck and hauled it to the dump.

In a rare splurge of spending, he bought a new basic model washing machine on sale, which I hooked up with no problems, and bought me some fuel for my truck.

Sorry no repair hints to share.

#925117 - 10/16/17 05:35 AM Re: Damaged water hose connection on washing machine [Re: christopher45103]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Thanks for the update!

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.