Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (CabinConnection, 1 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#92456 - 07/26/04 07:55 PM GE washer doesn't stop filling on rinse cycle
dredpa Offline
first timer

I have GE Profile washer. WPSQ3120T9WWW. It keeps filling to the point of overflowing when it reaches the rinse cycle. It does this in all wash cycles but not every time.If I move the knob manually it drains fine. What is this?

#92457 - 07/26/04 08:10 PM Re: GE washer doesn't stop filling on rinse cycle
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
Hi,

In reply to:

It keeps filling to the point of overflowing

How do you stop the water flow? If shutting off the timer or unplugging the machine stops the water flow the fill valve may be ok = a problem is the water level control/water level control hose system....also called a pressure switch.

Water level pressure switch.

How a water level control works.

Over filling problem in the common problem section.

jeff.

#92458 - 07/27/04 06:57 PM Re: GE washer doesn't stop filling on rinse cycle
dredpa Offline
first timer

The water stops when I push in the control knob.
How expensive is this pressure switch?

#92459 - 07/27/04 08:41 PM Re: GE washer doesn't stop filling on rinse cycle
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi,

In reply to:

The water stops when I push in the control knob

That should indicate the fill valve is working.

In reply to:

How expensive is this pressure switch?

LINK> Click here.

The pressure switch is around $55.00

jeff.

#92460 - 08/01/04 01:59 AM Re: GE washer doesn't stop filling on rinse cycle
Wedgeman Offline
journeyman

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
One thing to check before changing the pressure switch. Make sure that the tube is clean. The tube goes into a dome on the tub. Sometimes, soap or something else can partially restrict the air pressure in the tube. Blow into it to make sure it isn't blocked up. Good luck

#92461 - 08/01/04 02:48 PM Re: GE washer doesn't stop filling on rinse cycle
dredpa Offline
first timer

Thanks, but today I found out that what is happening is that it isn't draining after the wash cycle, it just keeps filling. I don't know if that makes a difference in your answer

#92462 - 08/01/04 02:54 PM Re: GE washer doesn't stop filling on rinse cycle
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi,

Drain pump running? Something caught in the drain pump assy or hoses? Normally once the washer is full and the water pressure/level control has shut off the power to the fill valve the washer will not try to fill again, even if the washer doesn't drain out.

Write down exactly what happens ( or doesn't happen ) & when:
Fills ( what temps ), agitates, pauses, drains out, spins, ect, ect, ect......

jeff.

#92463 - 08/02/04 07:19 PM Re: GE washer doesn't stop filling on rinse cycle
Wedgeman Offline
journeyman

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I agree with Jeff. Write down exactly what happens. The water you hear after the wash cycle could be the spray rinse. If the pressure switch is satisfied, then no water should be coming in, even if the pump is plugged. Does sound like a strange, out of the ordinary problem. Have a fresh, juicy doughnut, a cup of fresh coffee, and relax. We'll try to help you figure this out

#92464 - 08/22/04 06:15 PM Re: GE washer doesn't stop filling on rinse cycle
dredpa Offline
first timer

HI,
I'm back again. The washer fills, agitates, pauses, and starts filling instead of draining for the rinse.Then it just fills until someone shuts it off. It seems to only be doing this on water levels of anything over medium. If I push in the knob and manually move it to drain the rest of the cycle runs fine. It does this in all wash modes ie-- permanent press, normal, delicate. But as far as I tested, if it's medium level or less it works fine. It's driving me crazy. I've cleanded up 6 floods, and my husband wants to buy a new machine, which I don't think we need. HELP

Edited by dredpa (08/22/04 06:34 PM)

#92465 - 08/22/04 07:48 PM Re: GE washer doesn't stop filling on rinse cycle
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi,

First thought, dead/bad spot in the timer....but still confused as too why med and above water setting fail and not below a med setting!!

Fills ok, water stops.
Agitates ok, agitation stops.
Pause, which is normal.
Drain/pump out should occur but washer starts to fill with water again ontop of the soapy water already there and over fills.
Push in timer knob and the filling water stops.
Manually move the timer a bit and the drain pump kicks in ( should mean the drain pump and hoses are ok ) and the washer continues through the cycle ok and drains/spins.

At first glance....I'd still try a timer...but If *I* guess wrong I can return the timer, you cannot always do that, some places have a good return policy.

What still is confusing is that med and above water level....still can't figure out in my head why!!??!!

If I ran into this call in a home, I'd replace/try the timer, but have the WLC handy just because of that med and above senario.

LINK> Timer washer.

jeff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.