Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (markinark, debodun, 1 invisible), 241 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#921227 - 08/19/17 09:26 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Just_Bill]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vanceboro, NC
The final solution I decided on is to move the barrel back 3/16". That way the tang will not have to be messed with at all, and the tang itself will bury the flaw.
The flash hole has already been located on the barrel The vertical pencil line from the center of the pan shows where the flash hole will end up when moved to the rear. I was concerned if moving the lock back would cause a problem but, near as I can see, the side panels of the stock are plenty big enough to accommodate that.

Edited by Uncle_Alvah (08/19/17 09:30 PM)

#922639 - 09/12/17 12:29 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

I had to re-cut the end of the tang mortise as it was not perfectly straight across. I was mucho worried about doing it by eye so I rigged up this gizmo and scored it with an Exacto knife. Worked well. I was careful to make several light passes with the knife so as not to risk moving the square.

One thing I have learned from this project so far is that just because you "think" you are being slow and careful, does not mean you are going slowly and carefully enough.

Edited by Uncle_Alvah (09/12/17 12:40 PM)

#922640 - 09/12/17 12:38 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: muttonville,ny
Originally Posted By Uncle_Alvah
I had to re-cut the end of the tang mortise as it was not perfectly straight across. I was mucho worried about doing it by eye so I rigged up this gizmo and scored it with an Exacto knife. Worked well. I was careful to make several light passes with the knife so as not to risk moving the square.

???

"Live today. Forget yesterday. Don't worry about tomorrow. Don't plan ahead. There are exceptions... Life will change." Ed Wood.

#922641 - 09/12/17 12:41 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: code_ceis]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

My mistake...

#922660 - 09/12/17 04:06 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

This kind of chisel work was done by an experienced builder with sharp chisels. This guy has sort of appointed himself as my chief advisor, and I'm sure glad he did.

The completed inlay. The thin circumference of the Moon is silver wire inlay.

#922664 - 09/12/17 05:16 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
VERY nice!!!

I recall a stair rail I worked on many years ago, the volute is the part that swirls around at the bottom step. I cut it wrong, had to get another one, $300+ mistake that I had to eat. Measure 20 times then check it again before cutting!!!!!

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.