Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (markinark, debodun, 1 invisible), 241 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#921899 - 09/01/17 02:18 PM Do woodburners make any financial sense?
Hammer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Northern U.S. where the Winter...
Not long ago, I was considering the idea of getting a place that had a woodburning attachment on the gas furnace. I thought it would be kind of neat to get free heat by using wood on the property. But then I looked into maintenance costs of it. I found out that the system needs to be cleaned once a year at a cost of around $200 per cleaning. I don't even know if using wood each day would save that much over the course of a winter. Even if it did, it sounds like any money saved would go to someone to clean it afterwards.

What do you guys who use wood do? Do you find that it helps save money? Do you do your own cleaning?

#921924 - 09/01/17 07:48 PM Re: Do woodburners make any financial sense? [Re: Hammer]
bilvihur Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Hudson Valley, New York
I pick up wood that falls/is taken down alongside the road, cut and split it myself by hand. I clean my chimney every 3-4 weeks when the weather agrees and the roof is snow-free. I use a brush and fiberglass rods. I usually get through the winter on one 275 Gal tank of oil. Yes, it saves money, and is good exercise.

#921933 - 09/02/17 07:24 AM Re: Do woodburners make any financial sense? [Re: Hammer]
notnew2diy Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: harvard, il.
Indoor or outdoor?
Wood only or can it use pellets?

My primary heat/cooking/etc = propane.
I have a wood burning stove, independent of furnace.
Centrally located on main floor of a 2br ranch w/full basement.
In winter, furnace = 66F. Stove can get it to 80F if not careful.
I run the fan on my furnace to get some heat in basement.
Most I've burned, 2 full cords of well seasoned hardwood, mainly red oak and cherry.
My neighbor allows me to harvest trees from his wood lot, my cost here is time/labor/fuel since I have saws and a splitter.
I bought fiberglass rods and brush, clean my stove once/year, and get maybe 4 coffee cups of soot. Initial cost ~ $60 20 years ago.

My propane bill, last few years, ~ $600 for the year.

When this stove bites the bullet, I will get another.

HTH...have fun...notnew....

#921973 - 09/02/17 03:14 PM Re: Do woodburners make any financial sense? [Re: notnew2diy]
Hammer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Northern U.S. where the Winter...
Originally Posted By notnew2diy
Indoor or outdoor?
Wood only or can it use pellets?

My primary heat/cooking/etc = propane.
I have a wood burning stove, independent of furnace.
Centrally located on main floor of a 2br ranch w/full basement.
In winter, furnace = 66F. Stove can get it to 80F if not careful.
I run the fan on my furnace to get some heat in basement.
Most I've burned, 2 full cords of well seasoned hardwood, mainly red oak and cherry.
My neighbor allows me to harvest trees from his wood lot, my cost here is time/labor/fuel since I have saws and a splitter.
I bought fiberglass rods and brush, clean my stove once/year, and get maybe 4 coffee cups of soot. Initial cost ~ $60 20 years ago.

My propane bill, last few years, ~ $600 for the year.

When this stove bites the bullet, I will get another.

HTH...have fun...notnew....

Interesting! I guess the key is to learn how to clean it myself. Do that, and it sounds like it's pretty much a free ride as far as operating costs.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.