Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (code_ceis, BigJohnfromNY), 196 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
New Reply
Topic Options
#920799 - 08/10/17 03:55 PM Help. Garage Door Torsion Spring Repaired now New
Jmv Offline

Hoping someone can guide me. Our garage door torsion spring needed to be replaced. After watching YouTube videos I knew well enough it was out of my wheelhouse. We had both torsion springs replaced. One day one there was a loud screeching sound. I lubed everything that was ok to lube. Sound went away for few days. Since then the loud screech happens every time garage door is closing. As of the last few days I can now see the garage is uneven with a gap of a couple inches from left to right.

Question I have is so you think this is due to shoddy work during repair or just pure coincidence?

The repair guy has not been willing to address stating it has nothing to do with his repair &he will charge a service call to come look at it. Thanks in advance for your input!

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#920800 - 08/10/17 04:25 PM Re: Help. Garage Door Torsion Spring Repaired now New [Re: Jmv]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
"Most likely" one of the springs has become loose on the shaft, and thus it's not creating an equal lift assist when compared to the other side. Result is door is cocking in track. Get your installer back. smile

#920806 - 08/10/17 07:04 PM Re: Help. Garage Door Torsion Spring Repaired now New [Re: Jmv]
Jmv Offline

That makes sense. Thanks for the help!

#920817 - 08/11/17 08:56 AM Re: Help. Garage Door Torsion Spring Repaired now New [Re: Jmv]
JMac Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Cary, North Carolina
If he doesn't stand behind his work be sure to write a review on places like Angie's List, Home Advisor, Next Door, and Yelp.

Edited by JMac (08/11/17 08:56 AM)

#920847 - 08/11/17 06:47 PM Re: Help. Garage Door Torsion Spring Repaired now New [Re: Jmv]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
I am assuming a wide door w/2 springs??? First test, disconnect the opener from the door and manually operate the door. It should go up/down evenly, with about equal force, and stay at mid travel if you let go. I am assuming it does not do that?? You should be able to watch the springs wind/unwind, that should tell you what the problem is, if it is springs. But CAUTION, winding torsion springs can be very dangerous if unsure what you are doing.

There are other things on the door that can squeal/squeak, so watch for binding hinges, door binding on the garage framing, etc.

#920885 - 08/12/17 01:21 PM Re: Help. Garage Door Torsion Spring Repaired now New [Re: Just_Bill]
Bob_Fleming Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ft Collins, CO USA
Once you have the door/springs working correctly, lubricate the springs with something like engine oil to stop the noise. There are also silicone sprays made especially for that purpose. Put paper or rags on the floor to catch drips and wipe off excess oil.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is disabled

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.