Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (code_ceis, BigJohnfromNY), 196 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#920160 - 08/01/17 03:23 PM Are woodburning attachments to furnaces clean?
Hammer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Northern U.S. where the Winter...
My dad and I are looking at buying a house together. We found a house that has a gas furnace (uses LP gas) with a woodburning attachment. The realtor said the owners used it quite a bit and loved it. I would love the idea of having something like that since the house is in a wooded area. Free heat! What's not to love?

Well, my dad is of a different opinion. He thinks electric heat is the best since it's quiet. He also believes using the woodburning attachment would put smoke in the house. Is that true? Even a little? I can't imagine it would do that. Who would want that???

#920177 - 08/01/17 07:27 PM Re: Are woodburning attachments to furnaces clean? [Re: Hammer]
bilvihur Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Hudson Valley, New York
No matter how carefully you feed a wood stove, there's always a little smoke that escapes. That translates into smell and dust. Then there's the debris that comes in with the logs. And you'd better keep the chimney clean!
Others will post in with the relative costs of different heating methods, but I can't imagine electric is much quieter than gas.

#920239 - 08/02/17 02:42 PM Re: Are woodburning attachments to furnaces clean? [Re: bilvihur]
Hammer Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By bilvihur
No matter how carefully you feed a wood stove, there's always a little smoke that escapes. That translates into smell and dust. Then there's the debris that comes in with the logs. And you'd better keep the chimney clean!
Others will post in with the relative costs of different heating methods, but I can't imagine electric is much quieter than gas.

The electric I was referring to would be baseboard electric heaters. All they do is silently generate heat, except for some popping sounds as the metal expands from heating up.

As for the "dirtiness" of the woodburning stove attachment, would it be from smoke being distributed through the ducts? That's my only real concern. I understand having dust brought in with the logs and so forth. That much is to be expected.

#920588 - 08/06/17 04:15 PM Re: Are woodburning attachments to furnaces clean? [Re: Hammer]
BigJohnfromNY Online   content
fanatic

Loc: Southwestern CT USA
Originally Posted By Hammer
My dad and I are looking at buying a house together. We found a house that has a gas furnace (uses LP gas) with a woodburning attachment. The realtor said the owners used it quite a bit and loved it. I would love the idea of having something like that since the house is in a wooded area. Free heat! What's not to love?

Well, my dad is of a different opinion. He thinks electric heat is the best since it's quiet. He also believes using the woodburning attachment would put smoke in the house. Is that true? Even a little? I can't imagine it would do that. Who would want that???

So while I can't specifically comment on woodburners I can tell you that a number of years ago I retrofitted my oil fired forced hot air system with a supplemental coal furnace attached to the same duct work and using the fan on the oil unit as the mover of heat. Ran primarily on coal. If fire got cool or went out the oil burner would kick in. Point is, I never had a coal gas smell in the house. The house was never warmer. I think draft might be the key. Good luck.

#920632 - 08/07/17 03:44 PM Re: Are woodburning attachments to furnaces clean? [Re: BigJohnfromNY]
Hammer Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By BigJohnfromNY

So while I can't specifically comment on woodburners I can tell you that a number of years ago I retrofitted my oil fired forced hot air system with a supplemental coal furnace attached to the same duct work and using the fan on the oil unit as the mover of heat. Ran primarily on coal. If fire got cool or went out the oil burner would kick in. Point is, I never had a coal gas smell in the house. The house was never warmer. I think draft might be the key. Good luck.

Thank you! It sounds like this woodburning attachment might be a real winner then. I'll definately be giving it a try if we end up buying the house.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.